History: Good or bad if Texas annexed CZM in 1838?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, DandyDon! My mistake!

I have Spanish ancestors who go back to the 1700s in Chihuahua. Then, they became Mexican. Then they became Texan. Then, New Mexican. All with ever moving from their land, as you can see by your map.

This post is very interesting ..

I also had a portion of my family who lived in Chihuahua. They also became Mexican. Then in 1911 Poncho Villa declared that the were Gringos and gave them 24 hours to depart-- they went back to El Paso and scattered through out the US to make a living. That portion of the family once again became Americans-- and certainly proud to be Americans !

Sam Miller,III

If Cozumel had been annexed by Texas, SOUTHWEST AIRLINES would be flying there direct non-stop every 45 minutes for a fraction of what those airfare nazi’s at American Airlines are charging for precious flights 1254 and 934!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

More than likely the capitol wouldn't be in Austin, when they establish a new capitol they often are centrally located, so I think that I would been in Abeline or maybe Fort Worth.
Well, it moved around at first. Austin is certainly not in the center of the state now. Abilene is closer.

That's a nightmare scenario, the capitol (which I can see from my windows here at work) being in Brownwood or worse Lubuttocks.

I worked at Astroworld and knew what the Six Flags were :wink:

Edit: I love that map of Mexico, hadn't seen it before.

The Boon’s Lick Times published the article below on September 2, 1843. The first two columns are about the charges Republic of Texas President Sam Houston brought against Commodore Moore after the flag-raising expedition to Cozumel.

The third column is about Captain George D. Boylan, who was also on the 1837 expedition and in command of the schooner of war Brutus. Boylen was George Fisher’s Masonic Lodge brother in Galveston, Texas. Boylan was scheming to get free land on Cozumel for his men and himself. Nothing ever came of it.

boylan 1.jpg

The Port Gibson Herald, of Port Gibson Mississippi printed the article below on August 24, 1843. Port Gibson is the town where George Fisher’s ex-wife and children lived. Fisher was one of the partners in Sam Houston’s company that was formed in Galveston with the goal of buying Cozumel. Fisher is also the one who went to Cozumel to place the survey markers in preparation for the company’s purchase of the island. Fisher divorced his wife through a special bill in the Texas Legislature, obtained by calling in favors. In 1831, Fisher had been in charge of Mexican Customs in Anahuac in the Mexican province of Texas, before he switched sides and joined Austin in the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe, prior to the Texas declaration of independence. After 1836, Fisher became a Major in the Texan Army. He has a fantastic life story, which I tell in my book.

boylan 2.jpg

The New York Herald printed the following article on August 25, 1843.

boylan 3.jpg

If the annexation had stuck....there would be another 95,000 Texans pissed off about the OU-Texas game.....

Great thread by the way.....

Merry Christmas!!
Jay

If the annexation had stuck....there would be another 95,000 Texans pissed off about the OU-Texas game.....

Merry Christmas!!
Jay

By the way, not everyone in Texas was disappointed with the outcome of that game.

Merry Christmas!!
Jay

OU still sucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom