Hmmmmm.......to the max?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey gang~

I have an opportunity to buy a 2002 Maxum 2400 SCR.....a sport cruiser...looks pretty nice....VERY clean, only 160 hours on the 5.0L mercruiser engine.....

any advice??????????

they will sell it for $39,000 out the door....with new canvas, bbq, gps, possibly the dingy.....

it does NOT have a macerator, a/c, or windlass.......is this essential for a 25' boat?

thanks!

-dan

Unless you're a marine mechanic I would not buy this boat without a professional marine survey.

I personally don't think the items you mentioned are a stopper if you have a good deal. I prefer to pump out over vs. using a macerator to dump ***** into the ocean. An AC would require a generator as an added expense. Windlass would be sweet but a good bow anchor roller will get the job done.

Good luck.

--Matt

good points, matt~
and yes, i will definately get it surveyed....

do you know if this boat is relatively well-built? i hear good and bad about MAXUM.
also, the motor.....how much hours do you think i can get from it? pretty reliable? it's a 5 L Mercury...

thanks!

-dan

I use to run this boat. The 454 single engine worked very hard to run this boat up on top of the waves. The one I ran had a 100 gallon tank and I could run it dry with a full day of play. It was a fun boat, but hard at the pocket book with fuel. FWI, I think it is too much boat for a single outdrive. Make sure you test drive several types of boats befor you buy. If you test run the Max, invite your friends and load some weight in it. See what you think of it with 1000 lbs of gear and four adults when you want to run fast.

deputydan1:
good points, matt~
and yes, i will definately get it surveyed....

do you know if this boat is relatively well-built? i hear good and bad about MAXUM.
also, the motor.....how much hours do you think i can get from it? pretty reliable? it's a 5 L Mercury...

thanks!

-dan

I don't know much about this boat. You will hear good and bad about every brand. The engine is very well known and reliable. The same engines are used in many different brands. The 5.0L engine you are looking at offers 220hp.

I own a 19' Bayliner and plan to upgrade to another (larger) Bayliner in about 2 years. I have owned my boat since 2000 (bought brand new). I keep mine moored in the ocean (Massachusetts). I plan to upgrade to the Classic 222 which will have the 5.0L 220HP Merc. Bayliner offers this same engine standard in their two 24' cruisers. Larger engines are available for both though.

I have heard from the 24' cruiser owners that the 5.0L will do the job under most conditions and obviously offers a fuel advantage over the larger engines. They also said if you are loaded heavy in rougher seas you will wish you opted for the larger engine option. It will depend on your usual cruising habits and area.

The 5.0L Merc for example will push the 22' cruiser a top speed of just over 40mph. I use my boats hard - with lots of dive gear weight and lots of weather so I look forward to the power. My current boat has a canvas top (and cuddy cabin). Having had this experience I am definitely partial to a hard top cruiser.

Good luck with your search.

--Matt

Wow...great 411....thanks Matt and 2Dive...

Yeah, i think the motor could suffice for our use.....we'd go to catalina island once in a while to dive, but mainly to cruise and bbq, etc.....

More power would be great, but if the gas prices go higher, i wouldn't mind staying w/ this motor............

is 160 hours considered low for a 2002??

thanks, mates....

-dan

deputydan1:
Wow...great 411....thanks Matt and 2Dive...

Yeah, i think the motor could suffice for our use.....we'd go to catalina island once in a while to dive, but mainly to cruise and bbq, etc.....

More power would be great, but if the gas prices go higher, i wouldn't mind staying w/ this motor............

is 160 hours considered low for a 2002??

thanks, mates....

-dan

It depends a bit on how the boat was kept. If it was in the water since it was new those are definitely low hours (too few hours is actually a bad thing with boats). My boating season is mid April through the first of November. I would get approx. 90 hours of actual engine time in one season using my boat nearly every weekend. I think 160 hours over 4 seasons of use is extremely low. If the boat is trailered or kept in fresh water it would not be as much of an issue.

Get a reputable marine surveyor to give her the once over including cylinder compression checks and the whole 9 yards.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom