Hog 21w HID Can Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoom5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any experience with the Hog 21w HID can light? Apparently it is made by Light Monkey for Hog. The main difference is the battery compartment is not sealed. Is that an important feature when you consider the price difference, $945 vs $1380?

The main difference is the battery compartment is not sealed. Is that an important feature when you consider the price difference, $945 vs $1380?
Not until you flood the light and take out a $200-$300 battery pack. Chances are high enough of flood that I personally would be willing to spend the extra money. I have a Salvo that is not sealed and have managed hundreds of dives with zero issues. Two of my friends have lost very expensive Lithium battery packs while I was diving with them. Not having it sealed would also allow you to have spare batteries.

Having not researched the light, is there a difference in batteries, I.E. Lithium vs Nimh?

I wish the ballast wasn't on the head...

It needs to be with the Nimh batteries so they can keep the canister smaller. They should have called it the HOG 21 watt HID/Nimh Classic. I like the Anderson connectors and the fact that I can have an extra battery pack.

Nice light, home run HOG.

i'd gladly take a larger can over that though, I have never liked the huge heads, just so bulky on the hands, makes valve drills etc harder...[/QUOTE

It's still smaller than the Halcyon ballast (and round vs. rectangle). I have a HOG light here side by side with a Salvo with the smaller ballast and the difference is very minor.

Actually the DIR crowd prefers NiMh. Halcyon does not use Li-po packs at all (all Nimh).

I dive with dozens of DIR divers. Almost all of us now have Li-Ion packs in our can lights. There is no reason to prefer NiMH (other than being cheap). Li-Ion offers more burn time and is just as reliable as NiMH.

Some flavor of lithium has 'issues' if it gets wet.

I won't use remote ballast lights because you can't use e/o cords with them. I have 2 cannisters and 2 lightheads that I can mix and match if something breaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom