Hog 2nd stage as backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there! Posting this here in hopes of a great answer from Hog users/reps...

I am about to use my Hog 2nd stage as a bungied backup. Wondering if turning the cracking pressure all the way up (or down, i.e., closing the knob all the way to the least sensitive) and pushing the venturi lever all the way to minimum are sufficient steps to eliminate freeflow in a reg used only as a backup on a necklace. In other words, it hasn't been detuned in any way other than with the user-adjustable controls.

Also, please refresh my memory of basic diving physics. Is the reg less likely to freeflow if it is hanging mouthpiece-down rather than up?

Thanks!
bk

I use a bungied Hog reg. It works fine. Mouthpiece down will stop the free-flow.

Yes like most high performance and fairly sensitive 2nd stages you'll need to detune it. Otherwise works great apart from the mouthpiece being not my preferred design.

The breathing adjustment knob controls cracking pressure (determining when gas flow is initiated).
The Venturi lever in the "+" position promotes maintenance of gas flow once flow is already initiated.

I tune my primary and backup identically -- on the edge of freeflow with breathing adjustment knob turned all the way out.
For reference, here's what I do:
Before the dive...
Primary reg: knob turned in a little, Venturi (-)
Backup reg: knob turned in a little, Venturi (-)
During the dive...
Primary reg: knob turned out all the way, Venturi (+)
Backup reg: knob turned in a little, Venturi (-)

Tweak the second stage settings to your heart's content if you're dealing with a current, riding a scooter, etc.

As EricLt1 mentioned, the second stage is more likely to freeflow with the diaphragm facing down and mouthpiece up. If a second stage begins to freeflow, set the Venturi lever to (-), ensure that the diaphragm is above the mouthpiece in the water column, and, to prevent subsequent freeflows, turn the breathing adjustment knob in.

After post-dive rinsing and during storage in-between dives, make sure that the breathing adjustment knob is turned all the way out on your HOG second stages. Theoretically, this should help your LP seats last longer.

Ericlt1, did you open yours up and detune it or just turn the controls all the way down?

Ericlt1, did you open yours up and detune it or just turn the controls all the way down?
Ummm. You don't need to open up the second stage in order to tune it.
However, you do have to remove the second stage from the reg hose. That's where the crown orifice is located. By the way, while adjusting the crown orifice, press the purge button. This prevents the orifice from biting into the LP seat.
HOG doesn't include detailed instructions on how to tune the second stage?

Last edited:
Don't detune it, just crank it down a little and put the venturi to max -. Unless you are diving strong current or a scooter, proper submerging will prevent almost all freelflows anyway. Turn the reg upside down, gently fill it with water, no more freeflow problems.

Don't detune it, just crank it down a little and put the venturi to max -. Unless you are diving strong current or a scooter, proper submerging will prevent almost all freelflows anyway. Turn the reg upside down, gently fill it with water, no more freeflow problems.
I am about an hour and a half away from taking my hogs under the ice for the first time! I checked ip's day before yesterday, verified all connections and adjustments. Full report later on how they and I did.

Just got back from a surge-y (surge-ish?) beach dive with my Hog under my chin. Venturi at full "-" position, cracking/flow fully clockwise and mouthpiece upside down. Worked perfectly. Tested it while I was down, and it worked when I wanted it to as well as it didn't work when I didn't. I love this reg!

Just got back from a surge-y (surge-ish?) beach dive with my Hog under my chin. Venturi at full "-" position, cracking/flow fully clockwise and mouthpiece upside down. Worked perfectly. Tested it while I was down, and it worked when I wanted it to as well as it didn't work when I didn't. I love this reg!

In similar conditions I've never had to turn the crascking/flow fully clockwise. Just a turn max is plenty in my experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom