HOG D1 Bad Freeflows at Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say 50F because of the fact that if I go any deeper without a drysuit on, it gets all the way down to 38F because 50F is RIGHT above the thermocline, so I don't usually go down that far because I don't own a drysuit :)

---------- Post added ----------

So the 144 IP should be fine for my average temp? I'm doing a polar bear dive in December and another one in January. You think those will be fine, too? Or should I have it detuned a bit?

Yeah, the majority of the diving I'll be doing will be in 50ish degree water average. You think the reg the way it's set now will be a problem in that coldish water? The freeflows really aren't problematic, just an inconvenience and a waste of air.

If it means anything I also got the D1 cold water reg

If it does not freeflow when the venturi is at - just keep it at - before you get submerged. If you dive the water as low as 38 with this reg I woul lower the IP to ease the load on the second stage in warmin up gas.
As it was suggested many regs willdo that when they are tuned at the top of the range

I think I would leave the 2nd stages as-is for now, and just learn to use the cracking pressure adjustment and venturi knob to set your regs.

Venturi set to "-" certainly on your backup reg, and maybe increase the cracking pressure a bit. For your primary, find a cracking pressure and venturi setting that minimizes (not eliminates) free flow, while still breathing well. And just learn to deal with the occasional puff of free flow.

As for IP - I don't dive water cold enough to worry about it. Others have much more experience with that than I.

38 degree water I would drop the ip to 135. However have a trained tech do it so teh cold kit is reinstalled correctly

I will probably send it back in to you guys after the Summer in my downtime, I only make about 3 dives a month in the "off season". So you guys can tune it for Winter, where I dive about as much as in the Summer :)

There's no one around that will service these regs, and I can't take the repairs course until I finish my tech training :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom