Hog Din to Yoke Converter Protrusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhite6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I keep reading that the yoke converter makes the first stage connection stick out to far and may hit the back of the head. Looking at the converter it does not appear to me to be too far. What is the difference in how far the first stage protrudes between the Edge yolk and the HOG with the Yoke adapter? I am considering buying the HOG kit with the first stage, 2 seconds, hoses and other stuff. I do not want the Edge as I want two identical seconds and I like the sturdiness of the HOG ones.

I have this set up. I really like using it as the Din. But I only have one tank, so when I am on a 2 tank boat dive I have to convert my set up. I feel like it does stick out more than my other set up which is only yoke. However, I am pretty short and I have yet been able to get my tank to not hit me in the head when using a yoke setup. I have have a 100hp tank, which is shorter than the 80al and still have issues when using the yoke set up. I have also had an issue when putting on the yoke converter onto a tank, that a very small amount of air hisses. I have tried changing, tanks, disks and with some work can get it to stop, but requires work. I really like the set up beyond what I stated above. And, maybe someone can give me some pointers on stopping the hissing when I have to convert.

So Cwhite6 did you end up buying the HOG setup? If so how did it go?
I just bought the same and will be using it with a converter (as soon as the waiting part ends :-/ ) as well for the next few months til I get back from Asia.

They say a picture tells a thousand words.

Me with D1 on convertor, ali 80, Hog 23# wing. I had no problems with it hitting my head, but I DO find that it adds a little strain to the hoses when the wing is inflated (with the 32# wing I use at home).

Not sure how this will work out as a pic on SB, lets see.

19.June.2012.018.jpg

Hmm resizes it.

Try this instead -> http://oi48.tinypic.com/2vt19up.jpg

Hmmm, yeah no kidding. On both fronts: The hose strain and the how much a picture is worth.
I'm still thinking that this will be one of the best investments i've made. HOG has such a great reputation, i don't mind enduring a little discomfort.

Did you experience any leaks or problems with the converter? I've been seeing a few posts that state to make sure to check the din o-ring after each use and to make sure of its placement when you get the converter on.

Thanks for the photo post!

P.S. Great looking trim ! :D

I have been using the coverter for a few years now and had no issues with it. I have used it with both long hose and a conventional set up. I prefer the long hose though and by using the bottom port I don't encounter any extra strain on my hoses. For singles I run the long hose out the bottom, octo from the front most port on the right side of the turret (looking at the whole thing from the back of the set up forward as if I were diving it), inflator hose for wing frontmost on the left side and drysuit coming off the one behind it. I tend to wear my tank a little higher so I can reach my valve with a right shoulder that has some movement restrictions, and don't get hit in the head.

I do check the oring on the connection just out of habit and don't normally remove the reg then the connector when switching tanks. I take the whole thing off. I have had DIN orings on regs extrude a little when removing them but this had been from me failing to fully purge the regs before removing them. A 7ft hose can hold a lot of air. And o rings in need of replacement will start to get hard and tend to come loose. If you see it happening consistently when removing the reg put a new oring in.

Thanks Jim! Do you know the size of the DIN o-ring on the HOG reg? I know I saw it somewhere but I can't remember where....
And generally is the size easy to find? Living Asia means a lot of waiting for mail from home so it would be great to get them over here, in hind sight I really should have ordered a hand full as well.

Thanks OzGriffo! That's a great resource!

According to HOG is is a -112 o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom