Hog for Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want something a bit more secure to route your 7' hose under, you can try this: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335

When the rig is assembled and not in use (for example, on a boat) you can coil up the 7' hose and then put the bolt snap through the middle of the loop and clip it off. That will keep the hose from unrolling all over the dive deck. The bungied backup can either just hang, or the necklace can be put over the first stage.

If you can't get enough weight in the right places using the four pockets, you can either use a belt or one of the weight harness systems. My husband uses a DUI Weight & Trim because he has no hips :)

My last tip is that the most common mistake I see is people who set up the harness too tight. A little extra slack in the shoulder straps can be taken up with a snug crotch strap, and the rig will be stable and much easier to get in and out of. With a single tank, plate placement on your back is not nearly as critical as in doubles, because you have some freedom to move the tank up and down in the cambands.

FWIW, I understand and practice NB checks and know what it feels like when I'm over or under weighted. I know this to be true because in warm water I'd hardly ever touch the inflator and still be able to rest while holding a safety stop at the end of the dive. As a vest / belt diver I achieved proper weighting although not nessecarily perfect trim ( decent but not perfect ).

I also didn't excercise much thought or choice on where to put the weight: On the belt.

So here I am waiting for my gear to arrive so that I can figure out how much I need and where to put it. Of course you have to buy the stuff to fiddle with it which seems like a cruel race condition to me. I have a basic estimate of my weight adjusted to consider the differences between my BCD and BP/W but it's just that... an estimate and not really accounting for trim at all.

Regarding AG and open minded, I agree. Although I'm trying to not think too far outside the box because I can't honestly say I've thought it out solid yet as this is new territory to new. I'd say at this point my eyes and ears are wide open.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2012 at 11:52 AM ----------

Just wait until you get it. If the hose has a big bow in it when it is clipped off, it is too long. If it is fairly straight and stays trim against your body, it is the right length. There is no "magic" length, and once you have it on you can "see" if it is correct.

Makes perfect sense, it's just not an answer I like! ( Want to avoid buying twice. ) Ohwell, the Hog single tank `package` didn't give an option.

LOL. When you said "seriously expensive" I expected to see $150 not $15. Still, your point is well taken. I suppose I should update my excel sheets with the latest numbers of everything I've purchased in the last month. It might make me cry... It might make my wife mad. :)

Once concern is I don't have a canister. I've seen AG's video suggesting put a dive knife where your canister would go to wrap your hose around.

If you're diving wet, you could just get a pocket in lieu of a canister. That would give you someplace to put stuff and you could go ahead and use the 7' hose you already have.

In my searching, I don't recall coming across many pockets. Does anyone have any suggestions / links? I'm $$$ sensitive and don't need blue 'H's.

View larger image
Dive Rite Deep Bellow Pocket

CODE: BC2762

List price: $33.60 Price: $19.60
You save: $14.00 (42%)

-42%

In stock:3 item(s)

Quantity:

This innovative pocket is 6? wide, 10? inches long, and 2.5? deep and is chalk full of useful features: Heavy top closure flap with pull tab? 22 square inches of heavy duty Velcro ensures items stay secure until you open it. The ergonomic design allows for easy opening, even while wearing heavy gloves! Dual side grommets? run a shock cord or surgical tubing between the grommets to clip line arrows, markers, or connectors to. Interior D-ring?connect lanyards or lines to prevent dropping items during deployment. Mesh divider?keeps your slates and tables separate from other more bulky items.

Maybe they're near you, (cheaper shipping)?

Try Northeastscubasupply.com for gear....They carry used equipment and usually have good prices...Especially on items like hoses, webbing, pockets, knives, snaps, swivels etc....All that little 'stuff' adds up and cave/tech diving is equipment intense.....Put posts on SB when you need something...Members are always selling/buying and trading.....I've collected a storage room full of gear over the years....I don't advertise but when some one is looking and I have it, I'll let them know........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom