HOG or APEKS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both good go for the deal.

That's good to hear. I now realize that that port is generally for a second tank, which I won't be using as a warm water reef diving recreationally.

But it's good for resale. That's why I'm going to go with the rubber ring to have it ready for cold water divers.

Reading your posts I believe you would be better served by getting a EDGE EPIC set, also on sale at many of my dealers this weekend.

HOG is geared towards the technical market, EDGE the recreational Market

D1 Has a rotating turret.
D2 Has no turret.

Does the D2 have the 5th port?

Do both regs, D1 and D2 use the same service kits? and internal parts?

That's good to hear. I now realize that that port is generally for a second tank, which I won't be using as a warm water reef diving recreationally.

But it's good for resale. That's why I'm going to go with the rubber ring to have it ready for cold water divers.

Listen to Chris. Get the Edge epic set. If you are going to do warm water and don't require DIN the Epic set will do just fine. I am concerned that you don't seem to be getting any kind of guidance from your instructor on choosing equipment. The 5th port is NOT FOR ANOTHER TANK. It is simply to aid in streamlining when using a long hose set up on singles or doubles.

And yeah Mike I'm pretty sure the service kit will work on either reg. I have two of the D1 cold set ups. Except for the turret the body is the same.

Not sure about the 5th port. Mike or Chris would have to weigh in on that.

The EDGE Epic is also available with a cold water kit, in yoke and I do have it in DIN as well but only with the cold kit.

The 5th port...Jim in correct.

The HP seat on the new EPIC is similar to the HP seat in the D1 but not exactly the same. It is however very different from the first gen EDGE Epic HP seat

-snip- The 5th port is NOT FOR ANOTHER TANK. It is simply to aid in streamlining when using a long hose set up on singles or doubles.

I think this boils down to personal preference as well. I don't think the 5th port does much for streamlining the long hose on a single rig configuration. Plus, what port is then used for the octo that wont cause a large "un-streamlined" bow in its hose. With doubles, most people don't mount a long hose on their left post, but they do use its 5th port (if available) to improve hose routing.

---snip- . I have two of the D1 cold set ups. Except for the turret the body is the same.

I don't know if the D2 has a 5th port, but just because they have the same body doesn't mean they have the same internal gas flow. I wonder if there are any exploded drawings on the intrawebs to check.

I think this boils down to personal preference as well. I don't think the 5th port does much for streamlining the long hose on a single rig configuration. Plus, what port is then used for the octo that wont cause a large "un-streamlined" bow in its hose. With doubles, most people don't mount a long hose on their left post, but they do use its 5th port (if available) to improve hose routing.

I don't know if the D2 has a 5th port, but just because they have the same body doesn't mean they have the same internal gas flow. I wonder if there are any exploded drawings on the intrawebs to check.

the D2 does not have the 5th port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom