HOG Regulator Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jbell8289

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a new D1 HOG second stage regulator that is leaking air when the cracking pressure is turned all the way down this reg is brand new and has just got back from its first test dive in the pool. Its leaking air out of the mouth piece not through the body, almost like a free flow but not at full blast, just a light hiss. Any ideas on what could be the issue??? my backup is the same type of reg and was bought at the same time and is not leaking air. when i turn the cracking pressure up a little the hiss stops.
any help would be appreciated :)

What do you mean by "all the way down"? Is that the easiest or hardest breathing position? That is, all the way out or all the way in?

Turn up the cracking pressure a little. The seats will work in, and the initial adjustments will change a little. Turing the knob a little will solve the issue in the short term, then you can get the regulator re-adjusted...

Mat.

Your reg is probably fine. I think some manufacturers actually specify a slight free flow with the adjustment knob all the way out. You could get it adjusted but unless it's free to do so, I wouldn't bother. As long as you can adjust the leak out easily, just dive it for a while. Eventually it will get worse and then you can get it serviced.

It's possible that it's just a simple adjustment of the orifice, sorry I don't know the details on this reg. But, if it's a standard barrel poppet reg like the G250, you just remove the hose, look inside where the hose was connected, and you'll see either a slot or allen fitting. That's the orifice. You could depress the purge, then turn that fitting a little, maybe 1/4 turn, clockwise. That should stop it.

I agree totally with halocline it is probably normal. Reg adjustment is such a personal thing that one adjustment will not make everyone happy. I would adjust it like halocline suggested, just make sure you push in on the purge when you turn the adjustment(this will lift the orifice off the seat so the seat does not get cut. Or you could just leave well enough alone and turn the adjustment in some. These are excellent regs from an up and coming company that has the interest in the diver in mind. This is right from there site (We have a single minded purpose, to offer excellent quality equipment, superlative service and affordable prices.) No I do not work for Edge/HOG but am a satisfied customer that would like to see them succeed in there business venture because they are bucking the trend in an industry known for its outdated views.

I have a new D1 HOG second stage regulator that is leaking air when the cracking pressure is turned all the way down this reg is brand new and has just got back from its first test dive in the pool. Its leaking air out of the mouth piece not through the body, almost like a free flow but not at full blast, just a light hiss. Any ideas on what could be the issue??? my backup is the same type of reg and was bought at the same time and is not leaking air. when i turn the cracking pressure up a little the hiss stops.any help would be appreciated :)

You've already gotten good answers, but one more can't hurt to help put your mind at ease :wink:

If what you are describing is that the regulator "hisses" softly with the adjuster knob at the easiest-breathing setting (full counterclockwise), and you can stop the "hiss" by turning the the adjuster in (clockwise) 1/8 - 1/4 turn or so:

:party: Celebrate! :party:

You are one of the lucky few that have received a regulator from the factory that is tuned the way many regulator techs tune their personal regulators... For maximum possible performance. A slight freeflow that is easily stopped by turning the adjuster knob in slightly is a perfectly tuned second stage, and other near-identical 2nd stages (Zeagle, Apex) say this is "ok" in their repair manuals.

If you really need maximum air flow during a dive, you know that you can crank the knob all the way out and you'll be getting every bit of air the 2nd stage can possibly deliver.... But you'll normally dive with the knob turned in about 1/4 turn, otherwise there will be a slight "leakage" of air in between breaths.

Best wishes.

All of my adjustable regs are tuned to free flow slightly (just that hiss) when all the way open. My standard practice is to turn it back to where the hiss just stops and then another 1/2 turn. For mine that is optimal with my regular breathing pattern. If I need a bit more air I'll open er up and let the reg breath for me!

I have a few questions for the OP.
Did you get the second stage new together with a HOG D1 first stage reg ?
Did you have the second stage mated to the first stage, or did you just put them together yourself ?
I ask these questions because if you did get the HOG second stage new with a HOG first stage , they should be tuned before you got them by the shop. If you purchased the second alone, it needed to be tuned to the IP of the first stage.
The IP of the first stage may be just a tad higher than the IP on the second stage.
If you want to stop the second stage from leaking when set at the lowest cracking pressure , you have 2 options. 1) you can adjust the first stage to a lower IP.
2) you can adjust the second stage IP a little higher. (to adjust the second stage you will need to remove the second stage from the hose, use an allen wrench to turn the orfice adjustment about 1/4 turn clockwise )
Or plan "B" take the reg to a shop and have them look at it.

Jim Breslin

There is no "2nd stage IP". IP stands for intermediate pressure and is the output pressure of the 1st stage. You can adjust the cracking effort of the 2nd stage "match" the IP of the 1st stage, but fine-tuning IP is probably not going to do anything in this case, because the 2nd stage (I assume!) is air-balanced, meaning it will compensate for slight fluctuations in IP.

But, you do raise a good point, in that it would be a good idea to check the IP and make sure its nice and stable and within the manufacturer's specified range.

Don't the HOG regs come with instructions on tuning?
If they don't, they should. I realize that they're marketed towards the tech crowd, but I'd be willing to bet that, due to the great price, lots of divers who've never seen the inside of a reg might buy one.

IMHO, I think that a complete overhaul manual should come with the regs, too.

Back
Top Bottom