Hog vs Comfort style harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, many people convert. But, I wonder how many try the hog harness and decide the "deluxe" harness is more suitable?...

I have the "Deluxe" Diverite harness with quick release and a plain HOG harness... guess which is now gathering dust? The Deluxe is in a closet now. :D

The HOG harness is actually more comfortable for me, and easier/faster to rig, and easier to get adjusted "just right".

Must have more money over there than in my bank account. In any case that is one of the nice things about this Board; we can share experiences and not need to spend lots of money trying and discarding stuff.
Wrong sport for saving money. Seriously, if you have a standard backplate (dss, halcyon, whatever) then you can thread whatever harness you want. The actual 'deluxe harness; isn't going to set you back much at all. It's only you that can make the decision as to what you like and you won't be able too unless you try both.

I assume a "pinch clip" is one of those quick release buckles on the shoulder straps?
Exactly. You can rig one, as i said, on a hog harness without it actually being a total 'break' in the harness... so if it does break, it's not detrimental.

I love my HOG harness... I have a friend that started with a HOG harness and went to something that was more adjustable, because he just did not like the HOG after he got his DS. The only time my harness drives me a little crazy is on shore dives when I have no where to set my doubles to get out of the rig when I am wearing a DS. It can be a little tough to be gentle about getting out of it. Otherwise I find it fairly easy to DON and DOF in other situations where I have somewhere to set my tanks to get out of the harness. In singles I have no problems at all with it...

Phil

Unless the delux harness has legs to carry my gear down to the water I do not see how the "comfort harness" could be more comfortable. The basic hog harness when properly adjusted works great. I've used mine here in cold water & a 7mm, in tropical destinations with a 3/2 or a rash guard, no problems even on beach dives with decent hikes involved.

I have (and currently use) the 3 styles of BP harnesses. The HOG, a Deluxe and 2 transplates. I have a few different BP & wing combinations and I have each rigged a bit differently

To be honest I rarely dive the HOG. The only difference with the Deluxe vs. the HOG is that there is one disconnect on the left shoulder with the Deluxe. For me, when exiting the rig in a drysuit it is much easier to un-clip and slide out. No pushing or pulling to get past my wrist compass or drysuit valve.

I also happen to like the Transplates, no so much for the adjustability, but more for the orientation of the shoulder straps. Since the shoulder straps go to a metal plate on waist webbing vs. going more rearward to the lower part of the backplate; I find the strap position much more comfortable and easy to enter/exist than the more traditional styles. In fact I never use the shoulder disconnects on the Transplates due to this fact. I would bet a lot of HOG advocates have never even tried such a harness, but yet make comments regarding their suitability. I use the Transplate rigs for warm water and travel.

But in the end it is each to his own

Last edited:
When I switched to a hog harness I found it easier to get in and out of than my old comfort harness. Mostly I think this was due to my dry suit and undergarment. The comfort harness had extra d rings and padding that would always get hung up on my shoulder valve.

Start with the HOG, buy something else if you don't like it, and make the harness into a weight belt.

Start with the HOG, buy something else if you don't like it, and make the harness into a weight belt.

What do I do with all the extra stuff I tore off my transplate harness when I converted the BP to HOG? :eyebrow:

Blister

I happily used a "hog" harness for 11 years then thought about trying the DR Transplate harness...I found it much better than the "Hog" for me, both in and out of the water. You have to see what works best for your build and type of diving.

I am changing from a jacket BCD to a Bp/Wing set up. Not sure if I should get an Hog or comfort style (DR Transplate) harness. Most of my diving is here in Texas in warm water. I usually wear a 3mm full wetsuit. As of now I only dive singles. I need to know a good starting point. Thanks.

Hi Atlas,

Check out our Solution Finder, under the question 'Should I get a TransPac or a Transplate harness?' This might give you some ideas as to which one will work best for you. It discusses the advantages of the Transplate system.

Best,
Ag

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom