Hog Zenith (or any Hog 2nd) as a my secondary, second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP I will give you two recommendations:

1) Go to the LDS that sold you the setup and ask for the octo to be tuned to primary specs. Explain to the tech what you are doing. Dive it using the octo as your primary as a test. If it passes then ask the LDS to order you a new cover and you are done. If you are concerned on cost then call the LDS first for a price. They do not need to rebuild the second stage only tune it.

or

2) Purchase a HOG second and use it as the octo. The reason I say that is because it is an adjustable regulator you can adjust it so it does not freeflow when not in use and breath well when being used. If you use the LX as your octo you will need to detune it (make it breath crappy) so it will not freeflow when descending or in current. This is probably the best choice but it will be more expensive unless you there is another sale on HOG regs. Last week you could have got an original second for $60.

1) Go to the LDS that sold you the setup and ask for the octo to be tuned to primary specs. Explain to the tech what you are doing. Dive it using the octo as your primary as a test. If it passes then ask the LDS to order you a new cover and you are done. If you are concerned on cost then call the LDS first for a price. They do not need to rebuild the second stage only tune it.

Gottcha. Just to makes sure I get this: the a Titan regulator (octo) can be tuned to be more or less a primary second stage. It won't be balanced, but it will breathe better than it does currently. Kinda like if I bought a Titan second stage from the shop. They can also switch out the purge faceplate from the yellow octo to black.

Great!

There are several incarnations of Titan, what version Titan octo do you have? Does it have the proprietary hose or is it the "classic" i.e uses standard hose? Can you provide a link or photo? If it's the unbalanced octo it will not breathe as well as your balanced LX. True, it will breathe better after a re tune. I'd be interested to know what your LDS will charge for a face plate.

Still on sale @ caveadventurers.net
Buy Today!

HOG 2nd Stage Classic Regulator

Regular Price: $109.99
CA PRICE: $64.95

Id imagine the cost of a Titan face plate might be at least half that probably more. It's a good price. If only I hadn't just bought a set.

Damn! That's a steal!

I will go with that option. It's simpler than going through the LDS, although I do love them.

Gottcha. Just to makes sure I get this: the a Titan regulator (octo) can be tuned to be more or less a primary second stage. It won't be balanced, but it will breathe better than it does currently. Kinda like if I bought a Titan second stage from the shop. They can also switch out the purge faceplate from the yellow octo to black.

With most modern regulators the differences between the regular and octo versions is the color and how it is tuned. Your Titan is an unbalanced downstream regulator which is an updated version of the older U.S. Divers Conshelf line. So it is capable of good performance when properly tuned.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 07:51 AM ----------

Id imagine the cost of a Titan face plate might be at least half that probably more. It's a good price. If only I hadn't just bought a set.

You know a man can not be too rich, too handsome or have too many regulators. Go for it!

---------- Post added May 12th, 2014 at 07:56 AM ----------

I will go with that option. It's simpler than going through the LDS, although I do love them.

I agree it is a very good price not to mention that CA offers free shipping on orders over $50. The only drawback is the LDS may not service it because they are not a HOG dealer. This is not a big problem because you could 1) Service it yourself, 2) Send it out for service, 3) eBay it and buy a new one on the next sale when you are close to the service date.

I dive with the hog d1s and think they breath very well. I dive usually in 61 degree water up to about 100 fsw. I know this isn't super deep, my my regs work very well for me and I enjoy using them. If you go for a hog or another aqualung, I think you will be happy with either choice.

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom