Hogarthian Adjustable Shoulder Strap Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stuck a long needle nose plier through the conduit and had my daughter use it to spread it open to provide the space for me to stick the d-ring on.

-Z
Aha, you had a helper, well that will make these conduits easier to work with too.

Aha, you had a helper, well that will make these conduits easier to work with too.

I am all about working smart not hard. :wink:

I took the pieces off my harness this morning for my dive today. The air temp was 1c at the dive site with snow and ice on the ground. I did not want to be stuck out in the cold messing with the device if it started binding. Will wait for the ones cut from thicker material to arrive.

-Z

One of the things that held me back from going the BPW route was the perception of a lack of adjustability. I was at a LDS one day and the guy there showed me how he had his set up. I bought a 2nd hand plate a wing & some webbing and set mine up like his and after some minor tweaking all I can say is that it works slick! It is not in the truest sense of the word "Hogarthian" (although, considering that my last name actually is Hogarth, I guess the argument could be made that any way I rig it would be "Hogarthian".)

Anyways, notwithstanding my name, here is how I have mine rigged. It starts at the shoulders the same way you would with any BPW.
View attachment 490226

The difference is that instead of running the main webbing through the bottom of the Back Plate, I have taken another piece of webbing about 12-18 inches long (in my case, this is the black webbing) and threaded that through the Back Plate, put a D-Ring on it and secured it with a tri-glide. I then ran my main webbing through the D-Ring from behind.
View attachment 490227

The D-Ring allows the main webbing to move freely through it and it can instantly either be snugged as tight as needed or loosened as much as needed depending on if you are getting into it (loosen it off) or getting ready to dive (pull it nice & snug).

View attachment 490229

This may not be an ideal solution for everybody, but for me, It works very well. Admittedly, it does introduce two potential points of failure that otherwise wouldn't be there, but I can get in and out of it just as fast as someone with a BCD that has shoulder clips.

I don't know if this will meet your needs or not, but I thought that I would share.

Seems the easiest of all the examples here.

Seems the easiest of all the examples here.
I see you are from Ontario. If you are near the GTA, go in to The Dive Academy in Oakville and they probably have one set up on display like this so you can see it first hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom