Holding a safety stop - the effect of breathing/weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a shot line to hold (as is usual in decompression diving)
It may be usual in some locations. It's pretty rare in the diving I have done.

You should easily be able to hold a safety stop at 15 feet with an empty tank (500 psi) with no air in your BC. If this is not true you are improperly weighted. This is the only and real buoyancy check

I would add, you should be easily be able to make a slow, controlled ascent to the surface

You should easily be able to hold a safety stop at 15 feet with an empty tank (500 psi) with no air in your BC. If this is not true you are improperly weighted. This is the only and real buoyancy check

I would add, you should be easily be able to make a slow, controlled ascent to the surface

I agree ... and yet ... if I try to do what 'serious' divers do, and stay in a vertical position while staring at my computer, I float up. I know I'm not underweighted because I drop like a rock when I jump off the boat (I carry 8 pounds in rash guards and probably could drop two pounds - and unless I get super distracted taking pictures, I always come back to the boat with plenty of air). But I'm an antsy person - can't sit still at a safety stop. I'm the geek looking all around for that last minute ray, turtle, shark, jellyfish (love to take pics at the safety stop) and I suspect I end up even hyperventilating a little bit as I goof off during the safety stop. I just can't sit still (no mani-pedis for me!!).

I agree ... and yet ... if I try to do what 'serious' divers do, and stay in a vertical position while staring at my computer, I float up. .

The key is to be as horizonal in the water as possible, not vertical. think of your body as a wing, push the wing up or down horizonal in the water and there is much more drag than if you push it vertical and it "knifes" through the water.

I agree ... and yet ... if I try to do what 'serious' divers do, and stay in a vertical position while staring at my computer, I float up. I know I'm not underweighted because I drop like a rock when I jump off the boat (I carry 8 pounds in rash guards and probably could drop two pounds - and unless I get super distracted taking pictures, I always come back to the boat with plenty of air). But I'm an antsy person - can't sit still at a safety stop. I'm the geek looking all around for that last minute ray, turtle, shark, jellyfish (love to take pics at the safety stop) and I suspect I end up even hyperventilating a little bit as I goof off during the safety stop. I just can't sit still (no mani-pedis for me!!).

At the start of your dive, the gas in an AL80 weighs a bit over 6 pounds. You breathe about 5 pounds of air during your dive and are that much lighter at your safety stop. Your descent is quite easy if you are properly weighted

Did you mean to say horizontal? (sorry, see that @jadairiii mentioned that as I typed)

I agree ... and yet ... if I try to do what 'serious' divers do, and stay in a vertical position while staring at my computer, I float up.

Try dropping the two pounds. It is a tough skill to master but gets easier over time. Nothing wrong with wanting to keep an eye on the activity in the water. Many get focused on getting to the line and watching their computer, oblivious to what is going on in the water.

The math doesn't make sense in my case until I start diving lots more.

SP Hydros $945
Mk11/C370 $510
SPG $60 (used)
SP Seawing Nova 2 $210
Mask and Snorkel ~$70
SP Shorts w/pockets $60
Titanium dive knife $45
DSMB ~$60
Boots $20
Nothing about the Hydros or Seawing Novas make sense. Price, functionality, etc.

Well, I take that back. The markup makes sense if you're the one selling them.

Besides, once you embark upon that tech class you're going to retire both of those anyway.

if I try to do what 'serious' divers do, and stay in a vertical position
Huh?

I've always been taught to stay horizontal both during the ascent and during the safety stop. My last instructor was GUE T2C2 certified, I'd be hard pressed to imagine a more 'serious' diver. And if I deviated ever-so slightly from horizontal trim, he'd smack my knees.

And if I deviated ever-so slightly from horizontal trim, he'd smack my knees.

At least it isn't a ruler across the knuckles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom