Holding shallow stops without DSMB with waves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Silly question: I find it much harder than in OC to hold steadily as shallow stop in the ocean when there are a few waves when I do not have my DSMB deployed: I.e just following buddy with dsmb

Do you just guys quickly inflate/deflate the wing to keep up with changes of buoyancy at the last stop in wavey conditions?

With the loop, minor changes of buoyancy accelerate quite quickly in the shallows.

Silly question: .... I do not have my DSMB deployed: I.e just following buddy with dsmb
98% of the time,,EVEN BEING SHOULDER TO SHOULDER with another diver....I STILL deploy my SMB even if they have already deployed their's 1st. WHY??

1) From your safety stop it indicates to the captain that he has 2+ divers at the spot. As he's picking up divers on the boat he's keeping a count of how many he still has in the water. He's not guessing numbers. Seeing 2+ smb's he's accounting that into his total and scanning the ocean looking for the other remaining SMB's . It's a VERY helpful form of communication underwater back to the boat. The captain will know you are a safer diver than others.

2) As you said,,it makes it almost 2 easy to hold your safety stop. Some call this lazy because you are not 100% staring at your computer screen for 3 minutes undistracted. I'd rather forget the screen and look down & around to see what's near by. The 15ft stop will hold rock solid. You'll miss 100% of the biggest sightings & events,,,if you aren't looking for them.

@BlueTrin - everything depends on your setup and only you can answer the question based on experience.

My setup allows me to maintain neutral buoyancy using only loop volume when I am above 6.5m or so. As I ascend close to 6m, I let air out of the dry suit, do O2 flush at 6m and then use only loop volume for buoyancy. It requires more work than doing the same on OC, but with practice it becomes second nature.

Whether you must deploy SMB depends on the conditions and rules setup by the operator. But you should be able to ascend assistance-free in light conditions. Again, depends on your definition of "few waves."

@BlueTrin - everything depends on your setup and only you can answer the question based on experience.

My setup allows me to maintain neutral buoyancy using only loop volume when I am above 6.5m or so. As I ascend close to 6m, I let air out of the dry suit, do O2 flush at 6m and then use only loop volume for buoyancy. It requires more work than doing the same on OC, but with practice it becomes second nature.

Whether you must deploy SMB depends on the conditions and rules setup by the operator. But you should be able to ascend assistance-free in light conditions. Again, depends on your definition of "few waves."
By "maintain neutral buoyancy using only loop volume", do you mean breath out through your nose if drifting shallow, and add dil if drifting deep? or what?

I don't know, so I'm trying to learn

By "maintain neutral buoyancy using only loop volume", do you mean breath out through your nose if drifting shallow, and add dil if drifting deep? or what?

I don't know, so I'm trying to learn
Yes, something like that.

When I have ascended to 6m (20 feet), I perform an O2 flush. Effectively, my CCR is in oxygen rebreather mode with PPO2 very close to 1.6. At this point, I am comfortable on the loop with loop volume providing neutral buoyancy and adequate WOB.

I watch my PPO2 and when it drops, I let some gas out of the loop and add O2. Note, at this depth you don't have to add dil - you can't exceed PPO2 1.6. As I ascend to the next stop, typically 3m, I play the same game - dump gas from the loop and add O2 to maintain my PPO2 and buoyancy.

Of course, everything changes if I have to descend again. I'll add dil and gas to the drysuit as appropriate. However, typically there is no reason to seesaw on deco.

Yes, something like that.

When I have ascended to 6m (20 feet), I perform an O2 flush. Effectively, my CCR is in oxygen rebreather mode with PPO2 very close to 1.6. At this point, I am comfortable on the loop with loop volume providing neutral buoyancy and adequate WOB.

I watch my PPO2 and when it drops, I let some gas out of the loop and add O2. Note, at this depth you don't have to add dil - you can't exceed PPO2 1.6. As I ascend to the next stop, typically 3m, I play the same game - dump gas from the loop and add O2 to maintain my PPO2 and buoyancy.

Of course, everything changes if I have to descend again. I'll add dil and gas to the drysuit as appropriate. However, typically there is no reason to seesaw on deco.
Makes sense, thanks.

I tried today to O2 flush and use the loop at the stop. I think that makes it a lot easier, but I had a DSMB: previously, I was trying to make the loop minimal even during stops.

It felt better but I’ll try without DSMB a day where there are less waves: today was more like this 🤢

Will experiment a bit.

I tried today to O2 flush and use the loop at the stop. I think that makes it a lot easier, but I had a DSMB: previously, I was trying to make the loop minimal even during stops.

It felt better but I’ll try without DSMB a day where there are less waves: today was more like this 🤢

Will experiment a bit.
It will take practice. If you can, try free (as no line or DSMB) ascends on every dive if conditions allow.

My buddies and I start at 21m and then do 1 min every 3m. First goal - nail the stops. Second goal - stop and stay without any motion, i.e., no fin or arm movements. Another option - find a place where you can safely swim at 6-3m depth and practice neutral buoyancy there.

Again, this approach is highly setup dependent. If you need all loop volume to hold neutral buyoancy at 6m, something is probably off. Perhaps there is too much weight... My counter lungs are not large (I am on a rEvo) and I still get good WOB on exhale with plenty of room to go.

Back
Top Bottom