Hole in 7 mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several different neoprene glues available. I use Aquaseal and it works. If the hole is too large, patch inside and out with neoprene. Store unused Aquaseal in your freezer.

Aquaseal is great stuff in many regards. However, the problem is that it doesn't stretch like neoprene so it may tear away from the neoprene over time if the hole is in a stretchy area.

Neoprene cement (a type of contact cement) will stretch. You can also blind stitch and patch with neoprene cement and scrap neoprene to reinforce the repair.

My wife has a similar hole in her 7mm suit. LDS gave me an almost empty can of neoprene cement plus some 7mm scraps from their wetsuit alterations. I cut a "plug" to match the hole, cemented it up and it worked well for quite awhile (then we upgraded suits).

I've got 5 gaping holes in my brand new suit, hoping to start filling them soon on a weekly basis (I'm new to ScubaBoard, so I can guarantee I have not read this joke yet, while you likely have)

In addition to a neoprene plug of the same thickness, recommend adding a glued-on thin layer of nylon both inside & out to an inch or two beyond the margins of the hole. This will help keep the plug in place and avoid future tears at the hole. "620" adhesive is a good option.

Out of curiosity, is it a bullet hole? 🙃

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom