Hole in the Wall 6/25/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Jenn and I haven't been in Hole in the Wall in over a year. And today we realized we are waiting much too long to dive this system. It's a little more difficult for us to get to than JB, Twin, Shangri-La, and Gator Hole. JB is obviously accessible by land. The other 3 systems are a quick boat ride from the park or the boat ramps on the pond. A few weeks ago, we took the canoe out to Hole in the Wall for a test ride. We wanted to know if it would be feasible to try to paddle to it. We decided it would be. Well, yesterday, instead of doing another dive at JB, we decided to load up the canoe and do a nice long dive in Hole. We wanted to check out both the upstream and downstream tunnels. We've never been in the upstream passage and actually only just found the beginning of the line the last time we were there. We decided we would bring stage tanks with us and head upstream on the stage tanks. Turn on 3rd of our stages, drop them in the chimney, and head downstream on side gas. We knew our canoe wouldn't hold all the tanks we needed for this dive, so we headed to Walmart to buy a small inflatable as a tank dingy. We then headed over to Day Loop, set the boats in the water and loaded them up.

Hole_in_the_Wall_8.jpg
Hole_in_the_Wall_6.jpg

Once loaded up, we paddled over to the Hole dock, which took us about 15 minutes. Nothing like a little pre-dive exercise, which consequently, we learned at the CDS Workshop is a good thing to do to help lower the risk for DCS!.

Hole_in_the_Wall_7.jpg

We tossed tanks in the water, got suited up, and dropped into the cool refreshing water. Air temp was in the 90s, so the pond water felt great! We got our tanks on, dropped down, found a primary tie off and in we went. We dropped down the chimney and quickly found the 2 gold lines. They've been moved out a little since out last dive here. Both are now visible from the middle of the chimney. We headed upstream first. Here are a couple of shots of the passage:

Hole_in_the_Wall_1.jpg
Hole_in_the_Wall_2.jpg

The first pic is a little deceiving. You can actually swim over this key hole area in a much wider area. The only way to get through it in sidemount is by diving sideways! Upstream is a really beautiful passage. Lots of up and down and lots of huge rooms. We definitely need to come back here and see more of it.

We headed back after hitting 3rds on our stages and rerouted the reel to the downstream line. We clipped off our stage bottles and headed into the passage. We swam past the big E.

Hole_in_the_Wall_5.jpg

We continued and were just awestruck by the formations on the ceiling.

Hole_in_the_Wall_3.jpg
Hole_in_the_Wall_4.jpg

We've seen them before, but they never cease to amaze me. We swam until we hit 3rds plus 200 and turned the dive and slowly made out way back noting all the side passages for future dives.

We will definitely be back here on a more regular basis! It was a great dive to end off a great week and a half of diving before having to head back to the desert for a few weeks. :(

Nice report, Rob. I'll have to check that one out on one of my trips to JB. We swam to Twin from Day Loop before. I know its doable. The pics look great. Enjoy the heat in the desert.

BTW, I will be in Phoenix the week of July 14th if you and Jenn will be around.

Dive safe!

Nice report! Thank you for posting. :D

GREAT report and pictures Rob, as usual!!

Your canoe + dinghy reminded me of one of SeaYoda's shenanigans on a Cypress Springs trip:

IMG_3880-small.JPG

Great pictures! A 15 min paddle isnt bad at all either, when I did Cypress back a month ago I enjoyed the paddle almost as much as the dive.

Having both an upstream and downstream side, does one syphon? Is there much to see in the cavern zone there?

Haha, I was tricked. I thought this was the hole in the wall in jupiter, fl. Oh well none the less a great report!

haha! It's always the other way around for me!

Having both an upstream and downstream side, does one syphon? Is there much to see in the cavern zone there?

I believe it's 2 seperate springs.

How was the viz? I agree, hole in the wall is a great dive. I think I like upstream a little better but they are both beautiful. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Ive never done much beyond a couple of hundred feet down either passage, but its a cool dive. Going through the first restriction and over the top of the chimney is a cool site the first time. How was viz over all. Always seems to be murky when Im there. Weve paddled to it as well using sit on top kayaks, with 2 sets of gear on one. That was some excercise!

Great report Rob! I'm jealous of your dive vacation! :D

I'm so happy to see a Hole in the Wall report and have it actually reflect the Hole in the Wall I know and love - LOL!! :D Its a great system and both passages are very much worth a couple dives IMO. I'm looking forward to exploring the Century tunnel next time I head upstream. Jim Clark and Edd Sorenson get credit for adding to the existing goldine recently(and adding markers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom