Hollis C-45 or C-60 wing help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShipWreck Mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
SoCal, somewhere on the bottom of the ocean
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi friends,

I need some help from those how have more experience in Tec diving. I plan to join the ranks of TEC diver and I’m not sure which way to go. I plan to dive with double LP-95, since I own one already, Waterproof D7 Drysuit, Hollis Elite 2 harness with SS back plate. My question is do I go with C-45 or C-60 wing.

I will be switching from doubles to single form time to time; I may even dive with double HP-80 steel tanks. I know there are several manufactures that make Tec gear but I have decided on Hollis for the look as well as the function.

I dive in Southern California year round; I’m new to Tec diving, not to diving itself. Divemaster since 1991, so I would say I’m an above average diver when it comes to being real comfortable in the water. I eventually plan to also carry deco tanks on an occasion. So then, which wing in your opinion would you go with?

Thank you for your insight.

Hi friends,

I need some help from those how have more experience in Tec diving. I plan to join the ranks of TEC diver and I’m not sure which way to go. I plan to dive with double LP-95, since I own one already, Waterproof D7 Drysuit, Hollis Elite 2 harness with SS back plate. My question is do I go with C-45 or C-60 wing.

I will be switching from doubles to single form time to time; I may even dive with double HP-80 steel tanks. I know there are several manufactures that make Tec gear but I have decided on Hollis for the look as well as the function.

I dive in Southern California year round; I’m new to Tec diving, not to diving itself. Divemaster since 1991, so I would say I’m an above average diver when it comes to being real comfortable in the water. I eventually plan to also carry deco tanks on an occasion. So then, which wing in your opinion would you go with?

Thank you for your insight.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. Determining the proper wing size is based on first determining the overall ballast of the rig and diver (buoyancy and exposure suit).

That said, LP95's are each between 8-10lbs negative when full. SS plate is -6lbs, bands/manifold another 6-8lbs. That alone is 30-34lbs before adding canister light or other accessories, therefore the C45 would be adequate for this application based on the information provided so far.

Keep in mind, whichever wing you choose should comfortably float the rig at the surface. Although the C45 and C60 wing can be dove with a single tank, neither were designed for this application nor are recommended as they create unnecessary drag and difficulty when venting air as the wing will taco around the tank.

Hope this helps. For more information please contact us at 888-383-DIVE.

Thanks!

Thank you Nick,

If I decide to use a single tank, will the STA work on the C45 wing? I know there will be some taco effect going on. I would like a wing where I could switch back and forth without having to change the wing everytime.

I just saw C45 in person today, it is way to wide for single tank diving. I mean it can be done, by way way far from optimal. Get a proper single wing for single, and double wing for double. And I would say C45 is pretty good for double HP100+a AL80 stage. I saw lots of people do this kind of dive with Halcyon Evolve 40

Back
Top Bottom