Hollis DG03 perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeledgoat

Covid Vaccinated
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aside from a couple rentals, the vast majority of my computer experience is with my DG03. I get along with it fine, but after using it for years I still don't find it intuitive and I find myself digging out the manual more often than I figure I should have to.

Is this just the nature of most computers? Is the DG03 worse than other computers in this regard? I imagine this DG03 will eventually become my backup computer and I'll get a nice oled perdix or something (which i assume with the increased screen real estate will allow more intuitive interface design) but thats prob a few years off yet.

Anyone with a broader experience with computers care to share some perspective on where the DG03 is in the pack so far as interface?

The ergonomics of toggling between screens is pretty terrible. I've got one that I put in gauge mode as a back up. The stupid number of button pushes you have to do to get to a particular screen is annoying at best. Now that my favorite company that rhymes with "beerwater" has a recreational computer, I don't see any reason that a diver of any level should go with anything else.

I've used a DG03 for years and haven't found it to be overly complicated especially for common stuff like nitrox settings, SS, etc.. The display for SIs and flight time is pretty automatic. I do prefer using the rather buggy software for initial setup, but it can easily be done via button presses if you choose. Maybe it's just that I've got several hundred dives on mine so I'm used to it. I'm sure newer DCs are more user friendly and I would certainly take that into consideration if I was buying new, but I've never really understood the "complexity" complaints about the DG03 given when it was developed. It's algorithm (compared to Mares or Suunto's) more than outweighs its "complexity." I dive it as a recreational, "tidy bowl" diver. All IMHO, YMMV.

Now that my favorite company that rhymes with "beerwater" has a recreational computer, I don't see any reason that a diver of any level should go with anything else.

I'm not savvy on the rules enough to know if you're being coy or not, but I'd like to invite you to expand on this if you care to...

I'm not savvy on the rules enough to know if you're being coy or not, but I'd like to invite you to expand on this if you care to...

I was just being a bit silly. I'm a big fan of the shearwater computers. My buddy and I both use a perdix. It's a bit expensive, but even for recreational divers, the screen and interface are the best I've ever seen. Shearwater's customer service is second to none. Now, in addition, Shearwater has a substantially less expensive recreational model, the Peregrine. In addition to a beautifully easy to read screen, the toggling between screens is simple and intuitive on the Shearwater computers. My Hollis puck requires a ton of button pushes to get to the right screen. And if you don't hit the button at the right time, you have to start over. It's just not user friendly and the screen is not as easily readable as the shearwater computers. For me, there's just no reason not to go with shearwater.

...the Peregrine. In addition to a beautifully easy to read screen, the toggling between screens is simple and intuitive on the Shearwater computers. My Hollis puck requires a ton of button pushes to get to the right screen. And if you don't hit the button at the right time, you have to start over. It's just not user friendly and the screen is not as easily readable as the shearwater computers.

This is what I was suspecting, and started this thread to confirm, thanks a ton. My only concern is the li-ion battery - that's gonna degrade just like they do in laptops & cellphones. Granted the Peregrine won't go through nearly as many charge cycles, but it still makes me feel like I'm buying a temporary computer. (Unless the "sealed" li-ion battery is replaceable... by shop? manufacturer?)

Almost all of my diving has been done with an Aeris Elite T3, which is mostly the same as Hollis DG03. Some of the interface quirks are a bit annoying, but I got used to it fairly quickly. I did get a Perdix not too long ago when I decided to get into tech diving, but then COVID started and I haven't had a chance to go actually diving with it yet.

I do prefer the user-replaceable AA batteries that the perdix takes, but if the peregrine was on my list, I wouldn't worry about the battery. Shearwaters says expected battery life is 5 years and then costs $100 CA for them to replace it. Shearwater's customer service is simply amazing; they really stand behind their products. So not too bad for the Peregrine given the $400 lower price point than the Perdix.

the older pelagic computers work ok if you set it and forget it for the same gas. everything else requires using the laminated cheat sheet they provide or reading the manual.

Back
Top Bottom