Hollis katana Capabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright lets see what you all think.

Diving coldwater in a drysuit what is the max amount and type of tanks you would load on this system.

I have modified it with a back up 25lb bladder. I know thats redundant with the drysuit.

I have:
2 Faber HP100s
2 AL80 stage bottles
2 AL40 deco bottles

how much weight you using to sink your suit? can the backup bladder give any extra lift? (eg is there any extra space under the cover that is usable).

i flooded my suit partially with a pair of hp100s and one al40 and was able to finish the dive with a wsx25. i have 24 pounds total ballast going. i ended up buying a wsx45 to have extra lift in case of suit floods.

that load should be no problem for it. You will not compensate for the floatiness of the AL80's or AL40's, and since you're diving a balanced rig you will likely need lead anyway.
Total of the gas is 100*2+80*2+40*2=35.2lbs of gas. Assuming you are diving a balanced rig, even compensating for all of that gas shouldn't be an issue.
The pair of deco bottles leads me to believe you are diving trimix which would make that lift requirement even lower. Choose not to compensate for the AL80's *i.e. plan to ditch if you have to*, and you only need to lift about 2lbs each instead of 6.

I personally have dove the Katana with Faber LP121's, 2x al80 stages, and 1x al80 deco bottle in a light drysuit for cave diving with no issues. It was full since I dive with minimal undergarments and in a suit squeeze, but it held them all. What it is not a fan of is the LP121's in a 5mm wetsuit at 100ft. It didn't like that at all and I was about 3-4lbs negative. Poor life decision. Drysuit or a 7mm and it would have been fine

Back
Top Bottom