Hollis S Series vs Oxycheq Mach V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually can't tell a difference in size between the Hollis and the Halcyon. Hollis changed the design about a year ago from their original. I prefer the Hollis in my comparison to the Halcyon and it's much cheaper. Can get a nice discount on leisurepro.

I've had bad experiences with the HOG 32 lb bladder. After a month of use it busted as I was going through GUE/EDGE in 5 ft of water. I'm never going to buy a HOG badder again.

I now have the Hollis S38. I love it. I use it for my steel 102s and sometimes a pony. It's a great bladder. However, compared to the Halcyon Eclipse 40 lb, it's a monster. The Halcyon is tiny compared to the S38. But I can honestly tell no difference in performance.
Just my $0.02.

Is the HOG a bad bladder simply because it failed or is there some materials or design characteristic that differentiates it from other manufacturers bladders? What was the failure mode?

I've had bad experiences with the HOG 32 lb bladder. After a month of use it busted as I was going through GUE/EDGE in 5 ft of water. I'm never going to buy a HOG badder again.

I now have the Hollis S38. I love it. I use it for my steel 102s and sometimes a pony. It's a great bladder. However, compared to the Halcyon Eclipse 40 lb, it's a monster. The Halcyon is tiny compared to the S38. But I can honestly tell no difference in performance.
Just my $0.02.

It just this week I decided that I should get a backplate instead of a jacket BC, and have been trying to decide which.

But I don't get it, water displacement is water displacement. I don't understand how a 40lb can be physically smaller than a 38lb. The manufactures must not be using identical measuring techniques...so if the Eclipse is in fact smaller, it cannot have 40lb of lift. There can't be a huge difference in weight of the outer shells, is there, so the main part of the equation has to be just the volume.

Just my $0.05

I only have experience with the Oxychex. I have seen the Hollis in person and is a nice wing, but when compared together the oxycheq has a thicker bladder. Oxycheq Extreme wing is well worth the extra money. I don't think you could wear it out. If I were you I would get the 40 lb Mach V it is only .5 wider and 1" longer than the 30lb. Here is a video of the extreme
YouTube - OxyCheq Mach V Extreme Wing
Here is a pic of my 40lb Mach V Extreme.....
4732d0d7.jpg

Doesn't the Hollis have a coated nylon bladder? Nylon bladders are more durable, lighter, less likely to pinch puncture than rubber bladders, and I think they age better than rubber too. The only advantage of a rubber bladder is that they are easier to patch, should you get a puncture. That said, rubber bladders work fine and Oxy's seem to be the thickest on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom