Hollis X Series Air Cell Cave Cut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muddy MO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have this wing? I'm looking at the 37lb lift for diving single tank. I'm needing some details on it. I'm starting to piece together what I want to order.

Last edited:
To me that seems like a lot of lift for a single tank. I am not a cave diver, however, so I might be missing something.

You might want to elaborate on what you will be using this wing for. I don't see any dimensional info for that wing online but anything wide enough for doubles is likely to be less than ideal for single tank use

Cave Cut Design
With its non-bungee design and valves nicely located for doubles, the X Series bladder is compact, clean and perfect for use with a doubles rig.Features

•37 & 55 & 55Dual lbs. Lift capacity bladder
•Welded flange and one piece retainer for servicing without the need for tools
•Outer Shell constructed of HD Laminated 1000 denier Cordura
•Thick 15mm urethane internal bladder
•Streamlined design for reduced drag and passing through tight spaces
•Centrally located elbow to avoid tank valve/regulator interference
•Lower left pull relief valve
•No bungee
•Cam band slots

If by welded flange, they are talking about welded "flanges" for inlet and exhaust, over the years I have seen only failure welding plastic to urethane.

Perhaps attachment methods have improved, however I think separate independent threaded fittings using compression and or rubber washers is the preferred configuration

Unless of course the bladder is fifteen milimetres thick?

You might want to elaborate on what you will be using this wing for. I don't see any dimensional info for that wing online but anything wide enough for doubles is likely to be less than ideal for single tank use

Sorry about that guys.

I'll be using it right now for standard diving a single 100 steel. I dive approx 24-27lbs of lead with my thick wetsuit. In the future I want to get into doubles and tech but right now its just for standard diving and scuba spear fishing. I'm looking for a single wing not double. My mistake on this one.

I had a bc with 30lb of lift that would not float my gear without me in it. If its the wrong size I'll get a different one. Not a problem at all. I will be getting a stainless backplate for the wing. Probably Hollis.

Thanks for the help

I my mistake I've been shown the S series. Thats the one I'm going to get. Its better suited for what I will be doing.

Then make a 25 and 38. Now I need to figure out which will be best.

Here are my stats

Farmer john 5 mil
Lead needed 24-26lbs
AL80(right now) future will be 100 steel
Stainless Backplate

That makes more sense. I've been looking at the exact same wings for a while now and I'm guessing the buoyancy of your 5mm farmer john isn't much different than my 7mm fullsuit.

If you use the buoyancy calculator in the sticky at the top of this forum, you'll find that the 25 will technically provide just enough lift as long as you are NOT using integrated weight. however, reading here, it seems most people with similar gear prefer a little buffer between how much lift they have and how much they need and opt for one of the 30 or 32 lb single tank wings. I really wish Hollis made a 30.

I agree with you. It would make the world more simple. LOL

I'll check out that calculator. I dont want an overly huge wing but I dont want one too small obviously. My problem is most of my dives are out of my bass boat so I have to put on and take off my gear in the water. So I have to float my gear. Even wearing a 15lb belt (still floats me in just my suit) My gear may not float with a 25. I know my old bc would sink with it all rigged up and 24lbs in the pockets. Had 30lb bladder. So I might end up jumping to the 38 or going to a different brand which I really do not want to do.

I dont have allot of experience with other wings but I can tell you I am very happy with my Hollis SS B/P 38lb single wing. I like the extra lift if I need it. I dont like much weight on my belt so I have XS weight pouches on my tank bands and waist harness for what trim weight I might need and only wear 8 lbs on my belt.I dive cold water with 7mil or drysuit and steel 120.
It is not a huge wing and doesnt have the related affects.

IMG_1194.jpg

Thanks Paleface. I like you dive a thick wetsuit. I dive a farmer john 5 mil. Most of the time I dive about 24lbs of lead. Most water I dive is from about 40-65 deg. Right now I'm use an AL80 but I'm switching to a steel 100. I like your setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom