Hollywood shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well after 24 years, I finally shore dived the Hollywood North Beach Park once more. The surf though from shore did not look rough, when I was in it though, this freshwater diver took a little pounding. Survived the surf ok, I had not dove this exact area before, dove old Sherman Street many times over the years, years ago, but today seems like I would never get to the first reef line but did. Viz was about 10' maybe further, saw a large angelfish, trunkfish, some juvenille sergant majors, porkfish among other tropicals. Think I saw a few sea rods or whips and maybe a sea fan or two. I did not get far into this part of the reef, then hit sand again. If this is like the other places I use to dive, then there would be a ledge in 20' to 25' of water, depending on tide. Maximum depth this dive was 15' for 23 minutes. Solo dive. Was glad not to see lionfish, sharks, etc. Afterwards drove up to Haulover beach park, and that was interesting too.

You're right.. swim out about twice the distance you did and you will hit the ledge that goes up and down the coast for well over a couple miles. Most likely if you get back out there (and to the ledge) you will see a couple of nurse sharks, some turtles, possibly a lionfish and a bunch of tasty antennae crusteacean creatures. In my opinion that area is a much better night dive than day dive as the coral isn't particularly colorful, impressive--the ledge however is a site not to miss.

Well after 24 years, I finally shore dived the Hollywood North Beach Park once more. The surf though from shore did not look rough, when I was in it though, this freshwater diver took a little pounding. Survived the surf ok, I had not dove this exact area before, dove old Sherman Street many times over the years, years ago, but today seems like I would never get to the first reef line but did. Viz was about 10' maybe further, saw a large angelfish, trunkfish, some juvenille sergant majors, porkfish among other tropicals. Think I saw a few sea rods or whips and maybe a sea fan or two. I did not get far into this part of the reef, then hit sand again. If this is like the other places I use to dive, then there would be a ledge in 20' to 25' of water, depending on tide. Maximum depth this dive was 15' for 23 minutes. Solo dive. Was glad not to see lionfish, sharks, etc. Afterwards drove up to Haulover beach park, and that was interesting too.

Hi ft. lauderdale diver, think back in the day when I dove that last I had been to that ledge you speak of. The little ledges I saw yesterday were at the first part of the reef which I did not recall being there. They were not very high so doubt much could be under them. The other ledge from years back was about 2 ' or 3' and went to a sand bottom. I have read that there is a second and third reef line out beyond this reef but accessible by boat usually. Have not dove these deeper reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom