Home made shot tower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonygagey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I was just wondering about the possibility of making a shot tower to produce lead shot for weight belt etc.
My idea is for a tube(drainpipe or similar) about 15 feet long with a ring burner affixed to the top on which is a crucible or lead with a hole (have to experiment with size to start with) this drips into a bucket of water. so what do you guys think ?possible or insane?

Possible, but impractical. For the time, effort, cost, and hazard of doing this yourself, why not just buy a cheap bag of shot from a hunting supply store?

shot aint that cheap here in the UK, anyway just seen a shotmaking machine on the net and that gave me some ideas . Forget the tower think more of a row of holes on an angled square pan,these drip lead onto a angeled plate and the @shot@ rolles into a cooling medium (Antifreeze or brake fluidis recomended) RESULTING IN ROUND SHOT!

I'd do the math to see what your total cost will be. Materials to make the crucible, lead, fuel, protective gear, etc. I'm willing to bet it's not that much different from shot. It's not as though you'll make enough shot to make it worth your while.

It really doesn't seem very practical to make it yourself. But if you just want to do it for fun, go nuts. Just be careful. Otherwise everyone's gonna argue about it being a diving-related incident or not. :D

Do what some have talked about..go to a shooting range and collect the shot. Personally, lead is something that I really don't want to mess with. My dad melted shot for a mussle loader and it was totally insane.

You can use a piece of angle iron set on a downward angle..., and pour your molten lead on it and allow the lead to drain into a containor of oil.. you will have perfect round balls every time... Take your time pouring the metal so you don't splash or pour too much at once...... you will get a sence on how quickly you can pour....

You all may think I am crazy.. well I am.. but that's besides the point.. this worked for me.. but It is teadeous! for the amount of time you'll spend making your own shot you would be better off buying a bag or going down to a local firing range...

There are new tools out there to make shot without a tower. Better just to come up with something else to save some $$ because none of it is cheap. Some just cost a bit less than others.

Gary D.

Well I am going to give it a go and will let you Know how I get on

Yep, Might try to build my own version of the above link but on a larger but cheaper scale!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom