Home made shot tower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well had a first attempt. Used a mess tin and drilled 1/8" holes in one end,melted some lead and had it drop in to a container of used moteroil about 2',it did not work the lead flatend on impact with the oil. Trial two; same set up butoil about 6" fron pan, better but only produced "worms" of lead. I think I need to slow down the flow of lead and try different fluids,we will see....

Tonygagey,
Good luck with your shotmaker. I think Gary D had a link that I would model your machine after. I understand the attraction to DIY. I often take the challenge to try to come up with the "better wheel".....not because I want to save a buck, but because I want to see if I can solve the problem.
The main reason for this post is simple: In one of my lifetimes I was employed as an Industrial Arts instructor. One of my courses involved casting lead. I simply want to caution you on the safe handling of the lead. It is of course extremely hot. It also is important to use clean lead ....for one reason that dirty lead has a tendancy to "pop and splatter". .
In closing, my main caution in working with the lead is to take precautions against breathing the toxic vapor. Good Luck !
Bob

Well this is the result of my first two trys 1st on left was from 2' into used motor oil.
on right was from 4-6" as you can see I have a little way to go yet!

I know I was curious to do this when I was in highschool. As I understand, in the old day, the colddddeerrrr the weather, the smaller the shots they can produce.

Another way to get shots is to get a 30 or 31 caliber multiple round ball bullet mould. Make a whole mess of them, and use them as is.

Somehow, I can't see your picture.

Well after burning a hole in the bottom of my pan and other various amusments I have decided to shelve this project, and buy the damm shot!
Dont know why pics arnt up though?

MSilvia:
Possible, but impractical. For the time, effort, cost, and hazard of doing this yourself, why not just buy a cheap bag of shot from a hunting supply store?
Or better yet, TWO bags of shot, with the right ratio between the sizes so that they pack denser than just one size of shot. IIRC, somebody like FredT or LeadKing posted what would be the right size of smaller shot to fit in the spaces between larger spherical shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom