home made wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to believe that Henderson/Bare can make a custom suit any Size. Although it may not be cheap. Another option may be to look for a larger sized used Drysuit as they do not need to be tight. Depending on her actual measurements.

I don't really understand women's wetsuit sizes, but from the size charts I see online, a size 6 is one of the smaller sizes. In any case, whether large or small, anyone who does not fit well in a standard size can get a custom suit made. That is a much better option than trying to make your own, unless you are trying to save money - and if that is the issue, you might be better off getting a slightly used suit and having it altered.

Good call snoddy98. Happy diving.

Maybe we should just ban anyone over 200lbs from diving?:D
Wait a minute there pal, I'm about 220. Let's use a 36" waist as the cut-off. That would address the problem more directly. :wink:

While everyone agrees getting in better shape and losing a few LBS is good, we should not rush into lecturing every heavy person around us. There are lots of reasons why people get heavy (besides simple over eating) and it is not simple for some of this folks to loose all that weight. Lectures by skinny twerps don't help.
Let's dispense with the euphemisms, shall we? Being fat is the problem, not being heavy. At the core of it, in the overwhelming majority of cases, there are only two reasons that people get fat: taking in too many calories and burning too few. All the other reasons are just the excuses for those two.

I do agree that lectures by skinny twerps are at least a little bit rude. But the move towards acceptance of obesity doesn't seem to be a good idea either--it is not okay to be fat, it's a health problem.

I would not discourage an obese person from scuba diving. It might be just the sort of physical activity that inspires the effort to lose fat, and it's a pretty forgiving activity for fat people, in benign conditions.

I don't really understand women's wetsuit sizes, but from the size charts I see online, a size 6 is one of the smaller sizes.
The OP is not looking for a size 6, he's looking for a 6 XL; XXXXXXL.

my wife is a padi ow cert diver and is a size 6 xl wet suits are extreamly rare that size. can anyone tell us where to get a pattern and ideas on how to make one for her.

thank you

joe

Are we talking about size 6 Extra Long or XXXXXXL?

For the former I'd suggest one of the custom wetsuits mentioned. Otherwise a drysuit may end up being more comfortable and manageable.

I would not going down the road of making a suit from scratch. Minor alterations are doable but getting nice results will still take practice & skill.

Pete

waterproof suits are great too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom