Homemade Dive Float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I needed a dive float for this weekend's dives and I didn't want to buy one from a dive shop out here (100+). I went to the hardware store and bought a length of PVC pipe 5" in diameter and about 2.5' long. I also bought two end caps, the ones that are flat and an 1/4" threaded aluminum dowel to attache the dive flag to.

I drilled out a whole in the top cap for the dowel and secured it with some nuts and washers as well as a generous helping of waterproof epoxy. The other cap I drilled a 3/8" hole in to thread my tie-off rope through. I also drilled a 3/8" whole through a 4 lbs lead weight I had lying around (I wanted to make sure the bottom of the float was heavier, picture it floating vertically in the water. I tied off the rope through the weight and then splashed a generous coating of epoxy over everything to both secure the weight to the bottom and keep the water out. I attached the cap ends with PVC cement and after it dried painted it with a primer of rattle can white enamel followed by several coats of rattle can fluorescent yellow paint.

How does look? Extremely homemade :) I will try and post pics tomorrow and I will report back if it actually floats when I take it out on Friday. The wife is making me a dive flag for the pole.

Michael

Pics are in progress, out here in the hinterlands the internet isn't always reliable. Stand by, lol

Michael

dive float one.jpg

dive float two.jpg

Beta testing will be tomorrow am at Shark's Cove. Will report if the damn thing actually floats :)

Michael

One of the best home made floats I've ever seen was made with two snow saucers, epoxied and bolted together to make a flying saucer kind of thing. The top saucer then had a bog hole cut in and a big plastic container with a screw on cap was inserted and epoxied in. A small whip antenna for a flag was mounted and a battery pack was put in the dry plastic container to run the light on the tip of the antenna. The tow line was at one edge and it pulled like a dream.

Back
Top Bottom