Homemade GoPro tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also just thinking about grip tape, like whats used for to wrap firearm pistol grips. I wouldn't need much.

That might actually be even better as long as the surface it is adhering to is prepped properly. I don't have any experience with that stuff so idk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

That might actually be even better as long as the surface it is adhering to is prepped properly. I don't have any experience with that stuff so idk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I threw on a little grip tape and it works great. Just need to try it underwater a bit.

I know this homemade Gopro tray thread has been done extensively but I thought I would give my 2 cents worth. I made my tray from 3/4"pvc pipe, 3/4" electrical junction box, and used 3/4" loc-line tube for my Archon D11Vs video light arm. I have used this set up for the last two months and it has worked great. The whole set up is slightly neg and is easy to handle u/w. I made it with the slip/threaded couplers so I can just screw in/out the video arm as needed. Right now I'm only using one light for close up work, but can easily add another light if needed.

here's pics-
100_1173.jpg100_1172.jpg100_1174.jpg100_1178.jpg100_1176.jpg100_1175.jpg

I know this homemade Gopro tray thread has been done extensively but I thought I would give my 2 cents worth. I made my tray from 3/4"pvc pipe, 3/4" electrical junction box, and used 3/4" loc-line tube for my Archon D11Vs video light arm. I have used this set up for the last two months and it has worked great. The whole set up is slightly neg and is easy to handle u/w. I made it with the slip/threaded couplers so I can just screw in/out the video arm as needed. Right now I'm only using one light for close up work, but can easily add another light if needed.

here's pics-
View attachment 164658View attachment 164659View attachment 164660View attachment 164661View attachment 164662View attachment 164663

Your tray was my 2nd design choice.

I tried the pistol grip tape in the pool last nite and it worked well. The Archons did not slip at all and the tape held up underwater, not unraveling. I think i'm good to go now.

Your tray was my 2nd design choice.

I tried the pistol grip tape in the pool last nite and it worked well. The Archons did not slip at all and the tape held up underwater, not unraveling. I think i'm good to go now.

Glad to hear that the tape worked out. I took a little bit of a different approach to building mine. Although mine isn't near as good looking as the ones posted (or really complete) it has worked really well. The hardest part for me is the fact that I have to deal with a heavy surge and since I'm new to filming it is hard for me to get decent footage.

goprotray1.jpggoprotray2.jpggoprotray3.jpg

Glad to hear that the tape worked out. I took a little bit of a different approach to building mine. Although mine isn't near as good looking as the ones posted (or really complete) it has worked really well. The hardest part for me is the fact that I have to deal with a heavy surge and since I'm new to filming it is hard for me to get decent footage.

View attachment 164763View attachment 164764View attachment 164765

Wide grip designs like yours might be better.

I'm thinking about buoyancy and how to get my tray to be more neutral. Was looking into the foam mentioned in another thread but I cant see a good spot to place it on my tray.

TrayFinalfront.jpg

Wide grip designs like yours might be better.

The center piece was actually shorter at one point, but then I decided to lengthen it. I haven't had a chance to try it with the longer mid section yet.

I'm thinking about buoyancy and how to get my tray to be more neutral. Was looking into the foam mentioned in another thread but I cant see a good spot to place it on my tray.

View attachment 164771

What about putting some of that "Great Stuff" foam in the tops of the handle near your lights? That would help (depending on how buoyant it is) offset some of the weight and since it would be above the camera it might not want to roll over as much like it would if the foam were lower. I have no foam or positive source of lift on my set-up and I don't even notice it, but that is just me. Have you had a chance to get any actual dives with yours yet?

What kind of lights are those and how do they turn out on video? If you stated this already I apologize because I don't remember.

The center piece was actually shorter at one point, but then I decided to lengthen it. I haven't had a chance to try it with the longer mid section yet.

What about putting some of that "Great Stuff" foam in the tops of the handle near your lights? That would help (depending on how buoyant it is) offset some of the weight and since it would be above the camera it might not want to roll over as much like it would if the foam were lower. I have no foam or positive source of lift on my set-up and I don't even notice it, but that is just me. Have you had a chance to get any actual dives with yours yet?

What kind of lights are those and how do they turn out on video? If you stated this already I apologize because I don't remember.

The "Great Stuff" is a great idea. I'd have to be careful with trapping air in the handles so i'd have to provide a drainage hole through the foam but that should be simple.

I've tried my rig on shallow dive without the lights and it seemed ok. The rig with the lights I've only tried in a pool and they do add more weight.

The lights are Archon D11V's. They output about 600 lumens each, wide beam for video. Good for the price. Here's the thread I made testing it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/463531-archon-d11v-video-light-review.html

The "Great Stuff" is a great idea. I'd have to be careful with trapping air in the handles so i'd have to provide a drainage hole through the foam but that should be simple.

Yea that's the best thing I can think of with out increasing the bulk of your rig. I dont know if you use the LCD backpack or battery pack but if not I would think that the floating back door from gopro would do the trick. Plus with the pvc (without the foam in the handle) rig it could already bring it near neutral, but I havent even played with that door so idk.

Thank for the link, Ill be sure to take a look at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom