Homemade weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyIII

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reason why someone could not take 7.5 Lead Shot and make their own weights using a food saver?

This would make the packages air tight and water proof.

Are there any adverse consequences to doing it this way? I just have a hard time buying weights for $2.20 + tax a pound when I can do it this way for around $0.58 a pound!

I read sometime back that the fumes from melting lead can be dangerous. And of course, if the molten lead spatters, that would be bad. But otherwise, if done carefully, it seems like a good idea to me.

Phil

If your going to make your own soft weights, I sugest you use something that is not water tight. That way you don't trap air in the "weight", which would make it lighter in the water that otherwise.

I would think that the food saver sucks the air out, thereby making air tight...however, at the ambient 1ATA. When you change the ATA, wouldn't that do something to the spaces in the the sealed bag?

GreyIII:
Does anyone know of a reason why someone could not take 7.5 Lead Shot and make their own weights using a food saver?

This would make the packages air tight and water proof.

Are there any adverse consequences to doing it this way? I just have a hard time buying weights for $2.20 + tax a pound when I can do it this way for around $0.58 a pound!

I see two possible problems. First is eventually the food saver bag will develop holes, wear etc. After which you get moldly weights.

Second is flexiblity. With the air sucked out of the bag the bag is likely to be fairly stiff, hard to stuff into many soft weight holders. Might be ok in a WI BC pocket, don't know don't use 'em.

If you have the Foodsaver go for it, what's the downside if it doesen't work? You still have the lead and can always put it something else, and we can all learn something.

Regards,

Tobin

Avalanche:
I would think that the food saver sucks the air out, thereby making air tight...however, at the ambient 1ATA. When you change the ATA, wouldn't that do something to the spaces in the the sealed bag?

While it sucks most of the air out, there will still be air in the spaces between the shot (not a perfect vacuum). Not much, but a little. Which might lead to slight bouyancy changes and possibly over-expansion of the bag (though doubtful, since the expansion would first have to overcome the slight vacuum, then the stretch of the bag).

But the question remains, why does it need to be airtight?

Besides, if you evacuate the bag, it will become semi-rigid. Most people prefer shot-bag type weights because they are soft and mould to fit your waist.

JMHO.

I made some nice soft weight using some nylon "ditty bags" filled with lead shot (for reloading) and sewn shut. I cut the bags to size after filling them with the desired amount of shot. It happened to cut the bags approx. in half, so I sewed up the bottom of the part I'd cut off that had the drawstring top and put the sewn-up pouch inside that. They've worked quite well. I just need to make a few larger ones now so I can stop putting 6+3.5+2 in each WI pocket when I wear my thicker wetsuit.

-Rob

One other small point. If you decide against the sealed bags, you may want to use a larger shot size to reduce the total lead surface exposed. OTOH, price is pretty good on reclaimed # 9's.

I do all of my own weights, both solid and soft. If you are melting lead, make sure you do not breathe in ANY of the fumes and pour only into warm DRY molds.

The cheap and easy way for soft shot packs is to use old nylon stockings, pour in desired amount of shot, tie it off, fold over and tie again. Another cheap option, use old socks (that the dryer has eaten its mate).

But if you want cheap soft weights that look good, use nylon window screen material from hardware store, sew with nylon thread on three sides, fold inside out, pour in shot and sew the top shut. Truthfully, they don't last as long as the heavy mesh ones you can buy, but they are so cheap and easy to make, I just replace them as necessary.

One other option I have seen done, but never tried, but a cheap but heavy duty nylon duffel bag (Walmart type) and use it as the screen material.

Good luck............

Back
Top Bottom