Honduran shark bill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have rather they passed the law more specifically banning shark fining instead of commercial shark fishing. This law will hurt sport fishing which doesn't negatively effect the shark population. But a long over due step in the right direction against shark fining in Honduras.

I believe if I remember correctly in Gordan Ramsey's documentary about shark fining, he was on a Honduran shark fining boat.

I have been diving the Bay Islands since the early 70's. I feel it is a step in the right direction.

I have been diving the Bay Islands since the early 70's. I feel it is a step in the right direction.

It maybe a good idea on paper but is there anyone really familiar with Honduras that thinks there is any way such things will be enforced.? Yep, nice idea but to consider this an actual step in the right direction may be pushing it. Look at all the drugs that pass through Honduran waters and even with the US Coast Guard here often a lot gets through regularly

it certainly won't stop the locals, whatever they get on the line they're going to keep. two years ago one of my neighbors landed a tiger shark using nothing but a hand line. if nothing else it may stop tourists from shark fishing, last year i saw a group of american anglers with 4 bull sharks on their boat, a real bummer as i'd never seen one in 8 yrs of diving utila.

, last year i saw a group of american anglers with 4 bull sharks on their boat, a real bummer as i'd never seen one in 8 yrs of diving utila.
Please corect me if I am wrong but I do not believe Bull Sharks are considered endangered or threatened anywhere in the world so it would seem these fisherman were following laws they knew of .
Tell me any of this can work when I can go into the major and even minor stores and buy Lobster midway or more past the closing of the season, Tell me this can work when it is supposedly illegal to harvest Conch but like the Japanese, Some can do it for "research" Tell me how it is illegal to harvest Iguana but cruise itineraries list it as an exotic Island meal. Come on folks, Wake up. This is all for show and anyone in the know knows it means nothing , OR, If you do believe wholeheartedly in the intentions then lets talk as I have some land i would like to sell at a very good price but only to the right person who wants to conserve

Exactly, RTB, sports fishing has basically no effect on a healthy shark population compared to the devastation of a single shark fining boat killing tens of thousands of sharks in a year.

it certainly won't stop the locals, whatever they get on the line they're going to keep. two years ago one of my neighbors landed a tiger shark using nothing but a hand line. if nothing else it may stop tourists from shark fishing, last year i saw a group of american anglers with 4 bull sharks on their boat, a real bummer as i'd never seen one in 8 yrs of diving utila.

Just because you don't see them at recreation dive sites and dive depths doesn't mean there aren't a ton of them out there. Obviously unless these guys are the bull shark whisperers there are plenty of them around if they caught 4 in a short day trip.

a real bummer as i'd never seen one in 8 yrs of diving utila.
Until recently you probably never saw lionfish off Utila either, would you have been upset if you saw people 5 years ago with a cooler full?

ok now you guys have explained everything. next time i see a boat load of sharks killed for vacationers fun, i'll celebrate their great achievement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom