Hong kong to Palau or Sipadan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals, I appreciate that you think the Philippines is a good option for the OP, and you have a point, but that doesn't make Sipadan a bad option.

Regarding the length of the trip, the way I read the first post (and the way most of my customers phrase their requests to me) is that the OP wanted to spend "5 days or so" (note the flexibility implied there) at one of those two dive destinations, not necessarily spend 5 days door to door. With 5 days at Sipadan there should be plenty of time to enjoy the dive sites. But it is also possible to enjoy them with only four diving days, or even three.

As for Sipadan only being appropriate for advanced divers, do you realize that people actually take their basic scuba training at Mabul, and once certified they get to go dive at Sipadan like everybody else? There's plenty to see above 18 meters there, and just because the drop off goes down 600 meters doesn't mean a diver is obliged to dive beyond 18 meters for it to be worthwhile. Furthermore, Sipadan itself is brilliant for simple snorkeling, so how could it be a waste of time for a young diver who can actually go below the surface to a significant depth?

As far as permits go, it's true that during the first year that the permit system was implemented (2008) there was a lot of confusion and a number of disappointed guests. But since then the resorts have got their own booking systems coordinated with the permit system and we don't hear the kind of complaints from guests that we did when it was a new policy. In my experience, the Mabul resorts have been very up-front about the availability of permits over the past two years. In fact, I was just at the ADEX show last weekend talking about the procedures each resort uses at the time of booking, and they are all pretty much the same. They make it quite clear that the guest will have limited access to Sipadan diving, and they state what minimum number of trips a guest can expect during a typical stay.

As an agent I have to take issue with your portrait of an industry that is dishonest. I am certainly very honest about the Sipadan permit system when I book my customers into Mabul resorts, and I believe my colleagues are as well. A good agent listens to her customers and tries to provide the information the customer needs in order to make a decision. She doesn't try to force an alternative choice on the customer, regardless of what her personal views might be. The OP specifically asked for information regarding Palau and Sipadan. For all we know, these are two places she's been dreaming of going, and given the opportunity, she wants to dive either at one or at the other. Insisting that the Philippines is the only logical choice for the OP is rather disrespectful of her right to make decisions based on her own priorities rather than on what you think her priorities should be.

Last edited:
Yes, I am not aware that there are dive quotas for Sipidan. What is the quota like in July? Will I only get 1 day at Sipidan? How is diving at Mabul? Does Mabul have other diving than "muck diving"? I do have some flexibility on travel dates and would like to get at least 4 days of diving. Sounds like the travel time can be a lot depending on flgiths. I definitely don't want stay overnight at a hotel en route to Sipidan. Valdimir, thanks for the itinerary.
BTW, how is diving between Anilao and Sipidan different or similar?

Hmmm, lots to consider, thanks so much for all your input.

Yes, I am not aware that there are dive quotas for Sipidan. What is the quota like in July? Will I only get 1 day at Sipidan? How is diving at Mabul? Does Mabul have other diving than "muck diving"? I do have some flexibility on travel dates and would like to get at least 4 days of diving. Sounds like the travel time can be a lot depending on flgiths. I definitely don't want stay overnight at a hotel en route to Sipidan. Valdimir, thanks for the itinerary.

I would be very surprised if anyone can promise how many days that you can dive at Sipadan during your stay. I assumed you want to dive NOT snorkelling!!!
As I had mentioned, check the flight schedule first before you can plan your trip.
Most of the dives on Sipadan are wall dive and is well known for pelagic while Anilao is only for macro.
I know you want to dive Palau and Sipadan with your son but his depth limited factor as well as in-experience would really hinder your selection of dive sites in both places.
Go there by all means but you have been warned.
BTW, I am just a diver with no link with the industry in anywhere.

Please check the flight schedule from HK to Palau via Manila.
Continental is the ONLY carrier.
5 days is too short and I am not sure if your son can handle Blue Corner when the current is roaring. Without the current, the sharks will not come in and most of the sites are miles away from town.
For 5 days I would suggest Philippines(Anilao or Puerto Galera).

Or Phuket, Thailand.

Or Phuket, Thailand.
Well, of course, if I was only concerned about self-interest, I would already have suggested Phuket as a destination :blinking:. But the OP didn't say "Where should I go with my JOW son to do some nice diving while I'm in Hong Kong?" If she had, I might have provided very different sorts of replies! In addition to Phuket :eyebrow: and the Philippines :wink:, there is also very nice diving on the east coast of the Malay peninsula, which offers easier access than Sipadan and nice diving for a youngster and his mom, and there's also Bali with a beautiful wreck that is shallow enough for a JOW to dive and enjoy.

Sipadan is a tightly protected marine sanctuary which only 120 divers per day are allowed to viist. The island had been exhibiting clear signs of environmental damage due to overuse and gray water discharge from resorts built on it. First the Malaysian authorities mandated the removal of all resorts from Sipadan (they mainly ended up rebuilding on Mabul island), and later they instituted the quota system as the pressure from diver numbers became evident.

July is peak season for Mabul resorts, so I would expect one day's diving at Sipadan for a 5-day 4-night stay. The resorts WILL commit to that one day, though they cannot say which day of the stay the Sipadan trip would take place on. For people staying a full week, 2 days of diving at Sipadan is the norm. Each resort is allotted a specific number of permits per day, and they distribute these equitably amongst the guests. If the resort isn't full, divers are offered additional trips to Sipadan. There's a recent trip report, from February I think, in which the diver was offered Sipadan trips for every day of his stay. He turned down a few days because he wanted to do some diving at different sites! Naturally, none of the resorts will give an absolute GUARANTEE of a trip to Sipadan since the park is controlled by the Malaysian authorities. That's like asking a bus company to offer an absolute guarantee that a road that is part of its route will be open. If something catastrophic happens, the road (or the marine park) can be closed by authorities with no advance warning.

Comparing Anilao as a general area to Sipadan as a general area--Anilao has a lot of diving that is similar to that found at Mabul and Kapalai, which are the principal alternative dive sites that operators offer divers on the days they don't get a Sipadan permit. There are no dive sites at Anilao that resemble Sipadan Island at all, though there are some sites that have big boulders, such as Cathedral Rock and Kirby's. There are no pelagic animals at Anilao like the big schools of fish found at Sipadan. Most of the marine life is small stuff like shrimps and nudibranchs, frog fish and ribbon eels. Everything I have seen at Anilao I have also seen at Mabul, except zebra crabs on fire urchins. Anilao is easier to get to from Hong Kong, no question. It requires just one flight to Manila and a two-to-three-hour road trip to the resort area. Puerto Galera is another easy destination from Hong Kong, but it's quite packed with divers, and topside it's a party town rather than a serious dive destination.

One more bit of information to put into the mix: July and August are typhoon season at Anilao.

Well, of course, if I was only concerned about self-interest, I would already have suggested Phuket as a destination :blinking:. But the OP didn't say "Where should I go with my JOW son to do some nice diving while I'm in Hong Kong?" If she had, I might have provided very different sorts of replies! In addition to Phuket :eyebrow: and the Philippines :wink:, there is also very nice diving on the east coast of the Malay peninsula, which offers easier access than Sipadan and nice diving for a youngster and his mom, and there's also Bali with a beautiful wreck that is shallow enough for a JOW to dive and enjoy.

Phuket is just very easy to do from HK. There are what, 8 flights a day? And it is slightly over a 3 hour flight. Nothing against the other destinations, but if you only have a 5 day window, flexible flights would be pretty key for me.

That said, I have never actually made it across to Phuket on my various trips to HK...

I would very much to like to see turtles, sharks, rays, etc. I don't want to do a trip with only seeing small stuff, although I would love to see nudibranchs etc. We dove at Turks and Caicos, and saw hammerheads, reef sharks, nurse sharks, stingray, eagle rays, eels, etc..not every dive, but a good mix of big and small stuff. Sounds like Sipidan is gorgeous, but probably can do only 1 day there! I think I may need to do more research on other possible sites other than Palau and Sipidan. Thanks so much for your help!!

If you are looking at a short trip from Hong Kong you should consider Okinawa, a short direct flight and a huge variety of diving. Also we have numerous sites that would suite a junior OW diver no problem with lots to see. Turtles, sharks and rays are quite common and the Kerama islands are famous for nudi's and other small interesting critters. The other best option from HK for the most diving on a short trip with a junior diver would be Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom