hood for ear problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reebok, YOU NEED TO SEE AN EAR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!

If you were able to blow bubbles from your ear, you HAVE ruptured your eardrum. The fact that you could get air out through your eustachian tube bodes well. Nevertheless, if you got water into your middle ear you will most likely develop an infection. Just because you do not have pain, doesn't mean you do not have a problem brewing. The doctor will probably prescribe some antibiotics. Depending upon the location and size of the rupture, you may require surgical intervention. A small hole may heal by itself over a couple of months. If you do develop an infection this could cause further problems such as more extensive damage to your eardrum and loss of hearing.

You need to figure out why you had equalization issues in the first place.

A couple of things which may help in the future would certainly be the use of Doc's Pro Plugs and/or the Pro-Ear mask. There have been a number of discussions about both of these products here in Dive Medicine and in the Equipment Forum in Fins and Masks. You can search the subject.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

A couple of things which may help in the future would certainly be the use of Doc's Pro Plugs and/or the Pro-Ear mask. There have been a number of discussions about both of these products here in Dive Medicine and in the Equipment Forum in Fins and Masks. You can search the subject.
The efficacy of Doc's Pro Plugs, rather than being "certain," is highly dubious, in my opinion. Successful equalization requires that you get air (gas) through your eustachian tube as you descend, to counterbalance the increasing pressure on the other side (outside) of the tympanic membrane. There is no plausible mechanism by which Doc's Pro Plugs could aid that process, in my opinion, notwithstanding the sincere testimonials.

Doc's Pro Plugs limit water entry into the outer ear canal. This can help prevent outer ear canal infections by reducing amount of water circulating through the outer canal. They also, subjectively, reduce the response some people have to water entering their outer ear canals, especially cold water. My use of the word "certainly" was not meant to infer the function of Doc's Pro Plugs, rather to propose that they may be helpful to the OP. The OP did state that getting water in his ears bothered him.

As to the Pro-Ear mask, I have made around 150 dives using one and I have found that it keeps my ears completely dry whilst diving. I had a tympanoplasty in my right ear which becomes waterlogged and inflamed if I soak it repeatedly. Subjectively, it seems to make equalization easier. Objectively, it is much more comfortable for me to keep my ears dry in colder water.

to close the thread out, my ear is fine and I got the pro-ear mask and official hood. my first dive I did not have the hood and definitely had a lot of leakage and the mask was a pain, but did ok. the next trip I had the hood and it kept my ears completely dry. the mask+hood is incredible and I highly recommend it. thanks for the replies.

If you are getting leakage around the ear cup, it is likely that part of your ear was trapped under the edge of the inner seal ring of the ear cup. I sort do a circular gathering motion with the ear cup to make sure the inner seal boundary completely contains the outer structures of my ear. I find that I have to do this with my gloves off. I also have to adjust my hood with my gloves off.

Back
Top Bottom