hood vs hooded vest warmth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pThrift

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for opinions before I pull the trigger--

I currently dive a 7mm full suit & a 5mil dry suit hood & gloves when I head to "the pit" in my quarry (90ft; 45* f all year; even if surface temps reach the 80's)

I get cold. Every time. Not bitter cold to need a dry suit but cold enough to get uncomfortable.

I want to try a new hood first. I'm unsure of how much warmer a "regular" tuck-in hood would be vs say a hooded vest.

When I first started diving I used a tuck-in hood but it didn't fit properly & I felt like someone was choking me or my jaw would get sore from the excess pressure applied to my chin.

TLDR:: is a hooded vest that much warmer than a regular hood with a 7mil wetsuit.
Opinions welcome

Well, a hooded vest will be warmer because you will have a vest for additional insulation and when water enters the suit at the neck, it will not disturb the layer of water between you and the vest...

Do you wear a core warmer under the 7mm? Try a 3mm core warmer made of ultra stretchy neoprene over a skin. That's what I wear in NE diving. I have been in 49ºF with a 7mm/3mm core warmer/skin and felt warm enough to enjoy the dive.

If you get a new hood, look for something with skin-in. Helps keep the water out and keeps you warmer. One good trick is to pour hot water in your suit just before jumping in so your body does not have to heat up that layer of water upon entry.

Hooded vest is much better imo..and for some reason it always chokes me less and is more comfortable too.

Hooded vest is much better imo..and for some reason it always chokes me less and is more comfortable too.

This is my experience too...the hooded vest admits less water to your wetsuit, and keeps cold water farther from your core when it does seep in. I was diving in mid-50's F water last weekend and between my hooded vest and 5mm semi-dry, I was quite comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom