Hooded vest - in or out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From all I hear the intended use of a hooded vest is to be worn under your wetsuit. this does not seem to make any sense. the neck seal and back zipper are more often than not the weakest points in a wetsuit's design allowing significant amounts of water to enter. wearing the hooded vest over your wetsuit effectively addresses these issues by eliminating the need for a neck seal and covering the back zipper. am i missing something?

Probably doesn't matter ...other than size. If you are wearing it outside your other wetsuit you might need to size up.

I personally prefer my hood vest in/under my wetsuit.

docmartin:
From all I hear the intended use of a hooded vest is to be worn under your wetsuit. this does not seem to make any sense. the neck seal and back zipper are more often than not the weakest points in a wetsuit's design allowing significant amounts of water to enter. wearing the hooded vest over your wetsuit effectively addresses these issues by eliminating the need for a neck seal and covering the back zipper. am i missing something?

I use mine on the outside if I'm wearing skins only or under my 2 mm shorty if I wear skins & shorty(in other words it becomes the white of an Oreo)......

under the 7mm, I never get water thru the neck. I couldn't even flush it when I got hot. Plus I would never be able to get it over the 7mm without the hood being too big...

If you get at all seasick you will want to wear it outside your wetsuit. That thing has got to come off fast. Sadly from personal experience the first time I wore it.

Mel

It really depends on what type of vest you have. Some divers will use them to the contrary and if it works for them then swell.

The style often called a chicken vest that only goes to the torso in worn under. Some water will enter through the neck opening of the suit but it must follow a torturous path and is hardly noticeable when it reaches the back zipper. If it all fits good there is very little flowing to begin with. The one linked to has a thermal skin inner surface that clings to your skin discouraging water movement, this feature is lost if worn over a nylon faced full suit.

The other style, sometimes called a hooded, sleeveless step-in shorty or vest is worn over. The zipper is on front, opposing the full suits normal back zipper location and the arm openings have seals that severely limit infiltration. These vests are sized to fit over the companion wetsuit of the same size for most divers.

In addition to the extra rubber the torturous path is the magic of these vests. By muting or eliminating the direct hits of the neck and zipper openings you gain a lot of comfort. Fit is still the most critical thing. Remember that any water that is warmed before hitting your skin was warmed with your thermal energy.

The chicken vest will represent about 4 pounds of buoyancy and the 7mm vest shown about 11.5 pounds. I heartily endorse (own & use) both items for the right dive at the right time.

Pete

Given the previous post ...I will qualify my earlier comment as referring to the "Chicken Vest".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom