hooking camera to BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asus1987

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fantasea housing, no tray or arms, It has places for some split rings to go through,

I am thing 2 lanyards with bolt ends , hook one end to each bcd d clamp, the second through split rings on the camera,

Or buying two of the re-tractor type lanyards,

any hints/ ideas of what others have done / pictures,

Fantasea housing, no tray or arms, It has places for some split rings to go through,

I am thing 2 lanyards with bolt ends , hook one end to each bcd d clamp, the second through split rings on the camera,

Or buying two of the re-tractor type lanyards,

any hints/ ideas of what others have done / pictures,
I had my first outing with camera this weekend. I have one arm, but compact housing similar to yours.

I liked stringing in between both shoulder straps on the front my BP/W. That way I had some redundancy on straps and it kept it up out of the way better. I used a eyebolt on one side and then a D ring through the wrist strap on the other.

Worked for me.

Basic law of recreational diving

Always hold in your hand that which you do not want to loose ; attach disposable items with clips

Some time it is advisable to clip on to your body as well as hold in your hands,
(especially when going through Kalifornia surf )

SDM

And if you hook up things, be sure they can be un-clipped on both the sides and get used to manipulate the carabiners. Remaining caught in "something" with your equipment, even for a brief moment isn't really comfortable under water and a simple operation of get you disengaged can easily turn into panic.

I use coil lanyard like the one shown by Barmaglot, but with a brass bolt snap. Something like this one: Coil Lanyard with brass bolt snap
The housing has a wrist lanyard attached to my wrist, as well as the coil lanyard attached to a D-ring.

I use coil lanyard like the one shown by Barmaglot, but with a brass bolt snap. Something like this one: Coil Lanyard with brass bolt snap
The housing has a wrist lanyard attached to my wrist, as well as the coil lanyard attached to a D-ring.

I also use this exact one. I clip it to a D-ring on the right side of my waist belt. I don't see any need for 2 lanyards to my camera rig, or a wrist lanyard. I had occasion to borrow and use a Sealife camera yesterday. It had a lens cap and a wrist lanyard both attached via short cords. I hated both of them. I wanted to switch hands, but if I tried holding the camera in my left hand, the lens cap and lanyard could both float around in front of the lens.

I definitely prefer the bolt snap to the suicide clips on the one barmaglot posted.

I also use this exact one. I clip it to a D-ring on the right side of my waist belt. I don't see any need for 2 lanyards to my camera rig, or a wrist lanyard. I had occasion to borrow and use a Sealife camera yesterday. It had a lens cap and a wrist lanyard both attached via short cords. I hated both of them. I wanted to switch hands, but if I tried holding the camera in my left hand, the lens cap and lanyard could both float around in front of the lens.

I definitely prefer the bolt snap to the suicide clips on the one barmaglot posted.

Having the redundancy of two attachment points for my camera is something that was drilled into my head early on... I do not have a lens cap to worry about, but having one floating around would drive me nuts as well.

I agree 100% re the bolt snaps over the suicide clips. I should have called that out in my original post.

Weird. I've done a few photo event dives where I have been on a cattle boat full of photographers. Many with really big, expensive rigs. It seems like most of them that I see don't have any lanyard at all. I have never noticed anyone carrying a camera rig that was attached to them with TWO lanyards/cords.

Weird. I've done a few photo event dives where I have been on a cattle boat full of photographers. Many with really big, expensive rigs. It seems like most of them that I see don't have any lanyard at all. I have never noticed anyone carrying a camera rig that was attached to them with TWO lanyards/cords.
I spend a lot of time with UW photographers. I've only seen one with two lanyards. Maybe half the big-camera folks use a coil lanyard. But beware of split rings through plastic fittings on cameras...one good twist and the fitting breaks off. Use a soft attachment of some kind, even if you have to tie it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom