hoping for Fiji input, thinking Kadavu then Nananu-I-Ra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overlooking Beqa Lagoon, one day I might even retire and build a little house on it.
It's at a place called Waidroka on the Coral Coast of Viti Levu. Just down from my land is a dive Ops called Waidroka Surf & Dive Resort that has Dorms & 3 Bures. The diving takes place off nearby Beqa Island, and is great.
Very good Budgewise and intimate atmosphere, singles are very welcome, plus it's a lot of fun in the evenings around the dinner table.

Google <Waidroka>, and see for yourself.

The other place I'd reccommend is either Mana or Castaway Islands in the Mamanuca Group, just out from Nadi. Mid range $ wise. Both are Diver friendly. No Manta's but plenty of reef sharks and the occassional Tiger.

Your choice of Nananu Ri Island is good, but you could always spend some time at at Wananavu Beach Resort, Volivoli Point, on the mainland facing Nananu Island and dive with Ra divers there....Budgetwise-upmarket. That way you'll not be racing all around Fiji instead of diving. What you save on the airfare, you can put into the accommo!!!
Some consider this spot much better diving than Kadavu (BTW: The Ferry for Nananu leaves from pierhead here, so it's an easy transfer).

Give me your 'E' if you'd like some more info about Fiji diving, and I can send a few images that I've taken there, plus a more detailed fact file about travelling around there as a single. You'll get on just fine, no worries!

DSAO

WizFromOz

Ms. Ann Thrope:
Thanks for all the Nananu-I-Ra and Kadavu info, and keep it coming if you've got it! I'm leaning toward swapping out Kadavu for Taveuni--Kadavu is sounding kind of logistically/infrastructurally challenging, which, in theory, I don't mind, but in practice I often do. Any Taveuni tips in addition to Jewel Bubble divers?

Also, it sounds like October is sort of the shoulder season between high/low and wet/dry. Are things quiet enough that I can probably do most of my business on a walk-in basis?

Thanks.

Taveuni is the Dive Mecca of Fiji, but it comes at a cost. Puddlejumpers set a severe weight limit on your gear, so you'll be hiring most of your stuff. Matagi Island resort will cost you plenty, it ain't cheap! Garden Island Resort has had some bad write-ups recently about it's service, condition of the place and their sub-standard rental gear!
Qamea Beach Club Resort...In one word, take your Gold Amex, you'll need it;-)

From the sound of your budget, I'd save Tav' for another visit, maybe with the future Honeymoon Bridegroom, and let his card get 'Bent' LOL!:shakehead

DSAO

WizFromOz

WizFromOz:
Taveuni is the Dive Mecca of Fiji, but it comes at a cost. Puddlejumpers set a severe weight limit on your gear, so you'll be hiring most of your stuff. Matagi Island resort will cost you plenty, it ain't cheap! Garden Island Resort has had some bad write-ups recently about it's service, condition of the place and their sub-standard rental gear!
Qamea Beach Club Resort...In one word, take your Gold Amex, you'll need it;-)

From the sound of your budget, I'd save Tav' for another visit, maybe with the future Honeymoon Bridegroom, and let his card get 'Bent' LOL!:shakehead

DSAO

WizFromOz

All Taveuni Diving tends to be pre-booked from Stateside...repeat, NO Walk-In Deals as a rule!

WizFromOz:
All Taveuni Diving tends to be pre-booked from Stateside...repeat, NO Walk-In Deals as a rule!
Not sure what you mean here.
I have been to Taveuni twice without bookings and had no problems with accomodation or dive trips.

The first time we stayed at Bibis Hideaway, which has cute bures for about $60 fijian / night. There are two dive ops within 5 minutes walk.

Second time we rented a house on Taveuni Estate (probably not suitable for a solo traveler) and dived with "Taveuni Estates Dive" who were awesome.

Diving was superb!!

Have fun
Bluey

Bluey:
Not sure what you mean here.
I have been to Taveuni twice without bookings and had no problems with accomodation or dive trips.

The first time we stayed at Bibis Hideaway, which has cute bures for about $60 fijian / night. There are two dive ops within 5 minutes walk.

Second time we rented a house on Taveuni Estate (probably not suitable for a solo traveler) and dived with "Taveuni Estates Dive" who were awesome.

Diving was superb!!

Have fun
Bluey
October is normally a 'No Vacancy' month, but there's always the exception to the rule
as it's the best time to go!

Did you get to the 'White Wall'? Great dive that!!

WizFromOz

WizFromOz:
Did you get to the 'White Wall'? Great dive that!!

WizFromOz
I did and it is awesome! When I got to the other end I just wanted to go round again. Unfortunately at 110' you can't really play there all day.

I dove both Taveuni and the Bligh Waters (with Crystal Divers from Wananavu) in August of '03. While Taveuni is a far more beautiful island, in my view, the Bligh Water diving is far superior. Reefs in the Bligh Water are pristine while those in Taveuni show damage from the El Nino of '99 and sub-ocean volanic venting as well as overdiving. After 3 days in Taveuni, we cut short our stay and returned to Wananvu so we could finish our trip with great diving. This is only my experience. YMMV.

reubencahn:
I dove both Taveuni and the Bligh Waters (with Crystal Divers from Wananavu) in August of '03. While Taveuni is a far more beautiful island, in my view, the Bligh Water diving is far superior. Reefs in the Bligh Water are pristine while those in Taveuni show damage from the El Nino of '99 and sub-ocean volanic venting as well as overdiving. After 3 days in Taveuni, we cut short our stay and returned to Wananvu so we could finish our trip with great diving. This is only my experience. YMMV.

This was my experience as well, only i have to compare it to Kadavu. Much more intersting dive sites IMO. Also, there were people on the Kai Viti boat who had just been diving Bequa, and they thought the bligh waters were better than that as well.

Bluey:
I did and it is awesome! When I got to the other end I just wanted to go round again. Unfortunately at 110' you can't really play there all day.

Having dived all over fiji, I can say it's the best experience i ever had, totally awesome!!!!
Who did you go with?

I went with my mate at Garden Island Resort, he now diving at Beqa Lagoon, not so attractive a venue.

DSAO

WizFromOz

I did the White Wall with "Taveuni Estates" Dive op. A Fijian divemaster called Weiss (don't know how his name is spelled) took us. He was great (got the tides just right).
Can't wait to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom