Hoping for some insight :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I just returned from Roatan. We stayed at Anthony's Key. It is a nice resort and is AI. You could stay there and never leave the resort if you wanted. However, it is a +/- 10 minute cab ride from the resort to West End. Cabs there are cheap compared to what I am used to. $5/person if the resort calls the cab and I heard it could be less by just walking up the hill to the gate and getting a cab from there. AKR is on the north side of the island and is more prone to have weather induced problems than the south side of the island. However, if the weather becomes a factor AKR moves it boats to the south side and busses divers over to avoid a long rough ride in a boat. AKR also visits both sides of the island for diving. We dove Mary's Place and 2 other dive sites on the south side while we were there. We really enjoyed AKR. We also enjoyed exploring West End and doing a zipline. AKR has diving with the dolphins and snorkeling with the dolphins (estra charge for those). They also have horseback riding and sea kayaking both of which are included. I really liked the Dive operation at AKR, nice boats, very friendly staff, great DMs and Boat captains. The dives were beautiful and for an inexperienced diver such as myself confidence builiding and a little more challenging as the week went on. A lot of people who post on this forum like the resorts on the south side. From what I experienced, I don't think it would make much difference to me. The whole island is beautiful and the diving on either side is great! No matter where you decide to stay, personally I would find it hard to belive that you could go to Roatan and not have a great time! Good luck and happy planning! I have attached a picture of Anthony's Key looking from Roatan to the north.

Attachments

• PICT0380.JPG
    PICT0380.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 41
Thank you very much everyone! We will certainly look further into Bonaire. We have just returned from the Bahamas/Turks Caicos on a cruise ship, and also have Cozumel booked later in the year, so the Bay Islands just seemed a bit more reasonable for us at this time. However-if the diving/experience is truely worth it in Bonaire, I am not opposed to rearranging our travel plans a bit.
robint-we would like to dive a minimum of 2/day. If not more. Perhaps with shore diving as well.
Our budget is-well geez...i guess it just depends...we would like to get away with somewheres in the 1500.00-2000.00 range with meals/dives. (NOT incl. airfare) However-should we opt to cancel Cozumel this year, than that budget would certainly increase. :D Thanks again everyone!

Be aware that most of Cozumel diving is deeper drift diving. Not that it's any more difficult, it's physically easier, but requires a different set of skills as the boat will drop you, you'll drift as a group and surface and the boat will pick you up. It depends on your comfort level and to some degree - air consumption. otoh, divers who only dive off cruise ships yearly do it also.

I've been to both Roatan and Utila in the last two years. As mentioned, a lot of Roatan would meet your requirements as would basically all of Utila.

Some smaller more private places on Utila would be Deep Blue Resort, Laguna Beach Resort or Utopia Village - Utopia may be out of your pricerange. The advantage to these places is that they have shorediving off the resort, most of the less expensive other options are in town and don't - unless you want to dive in the harbor. We were at Deep Blue on an unusually quiet week, there were four of us at the resort. But they only have 10 rooms so it couldn't be too crowded ever. As pointed out by ncchuck, all three of them are only accessible via their boat. DB and LBR take you into town a couple of afternoons/nights on schedule.

One way to save money getting to Utila - at least for us - was to fly to Roatan and ferry over. We had a price of almost $1200 r/t pp. to fly from here through San Pedro Sula and on to Utila via the puddlejumper - flying to Roatan was $660pp and the ferries cost $105 r/t. It actually took less time as we would've done the redeye with a stop in San Pedro Sula. Since the ferry schedules align with the CO flight on Sat. we arrived on Utila just under 12 hours after we left Phoenix.

On Roatan in addition to Cocoview and Anthony's Key look at Luna Beach or Barefoot Cay. Both are a little more isolated yet a short drive/boat ride away from other activities. We were at AKR one night and it was really quiet after about 8PM. And there seemed to be a lot of guests judging by their boat loading schedule. One thing about CCV and AKR is that they'll often have 5-6 boats full of divers - some of the West End diveops only have 1 or 2 - as do Luna Beach and Barefoot Divers. For us that's a factor as we don't like diving in larger groups.

There are less expensive places to stay along the West End but typically most are across the road from the water and it's the most active (for Roatan...lol) area so more traffic and noise at night - esp. on Friday night when everyone seems to party down the street. Some are behind bars or restaurants so that makes quiet less likely. Although mid-week it was pretty quiet by about 10pm - we were there end of April/May (low season).

Cocolobo is another option in that area - it's a 10-15min. walk to the West End in a really quiet area around the point from Half Moon Bay. Looked nice as we went by one morning. It's just east of the West End. We rented a house nearby, it was dead quiet at night.

On Roatan we easily managed 3 dives/day once or twice - 4 if we went with different diveops. We dove with Coconut Tree Divers and their regular schedule was 2 AM followed by single PM dives. As we also dove with the Dolphins at AKR, Sharks at Waihuka and did a double Mary's Place/Prince Albert dive with Barefoot Divers, some of our dive time was used up shuttling around. But we saw more of the island diving that way.

On Utila the AI schedule was 3 dives/day plus shorediving. And 2 night dives. We stayed at Deep Blue. But we were doing whaleshark research that week so that took several hours every morning. For the dives we did, I would rate Utila above Roatan. Neither has great water clarity (you need to go to Bonaire/Coz/Cayman for that) and both had an interesting mix of large and small stuff.

The highlight of our Utila trip was snorkeling with whalesharks (6 over 2 days) but you'd have to go in May but not July afaik. West End diving off Roatan was either hit/miss, some days there were turtles, grouper, cuda, etc. others even the DM's were surprised at the lack of fish. We were there in May also. The AKR dolphin dive was also worth the money, I've heard the snorkel encounter is better as it's much more closeup but the diving interaction was still good - once they showed up...lol. Evidently one of our three dolphins decided not to play that day - good for RIMS (AKR) that they didn't force him.

Last edited:
I think Utila is a much better fit since you mention "local flavor". I've been to both for long periods of time. Roatan requires transportation to visit anywhere outside your resort area or west end. West End is hardly low key. It's loads of fun but is really just a large group of bars, scuba shops, road side restaurants and tourist traps. I'm sure some places are more intimate than others.
Utila is small and you can walk most of it. There are many locally owned and run places everywhere including some that are truely unique. The people are extremely friendly and all the dive operations are excellent as is the diving. Most places are smaller than places like CCV. Utila lodge might be a good choice but there are many others. Some of the fancier places are not right in town but you can easily get their via small boats.
You won't go wrong with Roatan or Utila.

Thank you very much everyone! We will certainly look further into Bonaire. We have just returned from the Bahamas/Turks Caicos on a cruise ship, and also have Cozumel booked later in the year, so the Bay Islands just seemed a bit more reasonable for us at this time. However-if the diving/experience is truely worth it in Bonaire, I am not opposed to rearranging our travel plans a bit.
robint-we would like to dive a minimum of 2/day. If not more. Perhaps with shore diving as well.
Our budget is-well geez...i guess it just depends...we would like to get away with somewheres in the 1500.00-2000.00 range with meals/dives. (NOT incl. airfare) However-should we opt to cancel Cozumel this year, than that budget would certainly increase. :D Thanks again everyone!

Since you are both newer divers, I would rank those 3 destinations, for you, in this order: Roatan, Bonaire, Cozumel.
My reason is that Roatan, particularly if you stay at one of the resorts like CCV or Fantasy Island, you get several boat dives each day and have the option of shore dives each day in water that is very calm, with dives varing from deep to shallow, and easy enough for beginners.
Bonaire is a great place to dive, but it is geared more for shore diving without a guide/DM, so IMHO it is better for divers with a bit more experience to really enjoy it. Dives there are easy with little current with the exception of the south end of the island. Since you are shore diving you pick the dive sites. If you are independent and don't need a DM, Bonaire is fantastic.
Cozumel, OTOH, is geared just for boat dives lead by DM as all dives are drift dives. The first dive of day is deep (60-90' average) and then after a surface interval the second dive is a bit shallower (30-70'). Since it is drift diving, all dives are lead by DM and everyone tries to stay together. It can be a bit too intense for some new divers.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Well, are you confuzed yet? You will find that most everyone on the board will try to be helpful, with a few exceptions on a different forum. But, like they say: opinions are like a*%#@$*s, everybody has one; so here is mine.

Being a new diver you may really want to think carefully about where you go for your first trip or two. The skill set for different locations, like: deep, current, walls, etc. can prove to be a lot to think about while you are still trying to get some sort of comfort level with our wonderful underwater world.

I have been to Roatan twice, and Utila once; had a good time on all trips. I did, however, find that my most recent trip was the best overall experience and I would attribute that to the fact that I had over 300 dives under my weightbelt for that trip compared to far fewer the first times there.

I hope I'm not coming across as "preachy", because there are certainly lots of easy dives to be found in Honduras and your divemaster, after assessing your skill level will try to take you to those spots. If you wind up in a place that is not too busy and you are on a boat with more advanced divers, you could wind up in places that might not be as much fun for you. That just winds up being the economics of things.

Bonaire is a nice choice, easy shore diving; but again, as a new diver would you feel comfortable doing shore dives on your own? Navigation might not be something to try on a first or second trip.

Cozumel is a good choice too. The drift dives are actually easy, just go with the flow and pay attention to the divemaster. Buddy skills are essential with a drift as if you get separated you might not be able to get back together against the current if someone has a problem.

None of this is meant to discourage you, diving is a great sport and like anything else, the more you do it the more comfortable you will be with any situation that might present itself. Go wherever you think you will have a great time (most everywhere!) and pay attention. Remember the skills they taught you in Open Water class, and don't be afraid to practice some of those skills at the end of a dive when you are in shallow water.

Dive safe!! BK

Well, are you confuzed yet?

Yes, it was a dizzying array of advice but not much about the OP's question.

We are all about local flavor....

Local flavor is a funny word. I have written at length about what I decry as the lack of real honest "island culture" available to the tourist on the Bay Islands. This has caused much hue and cry among local merchants who haunt this forum (but like BKPIX says above....)

About the most island flavor that there is might be found in a couple of very different forms between the two islands that you mention, Utila and Roatan.

On Roatan, your best bet to get an "island vibe" is West End where you will be with a generally younger and more backpacker crowd, although that group has decidedly moved on to Utila. On the West End, you will find many guest houses and day-dive ops that are staffed by young folks who you will likely meet at night at one of the local watering holes. Warning: There is already even some sporadic neon signage! The buildings are a clever melange of tropic castaway chic and Central American engineering. Someday, like Cayman Kai, a bulldozer will come through and pave the place, running the Anglo temporary transplants of this attractive Tropical Renaissance Fair lifestyle out of town.

On Utila, you have this same net effect but miniaturized and highly concentrated and absolutely devoid (so far) of Cruise Ship Pod People. Think Cayman 1950 (only with wireless). Different than Roatan- nor will you see the line of Guatemalan import shacks or semi-contrived tropical shack style bars.

Either way, see it now, it won't last long on either island.

If you want the fantasy portrayal of "Island Flavor", it depends on which book you are reading.

MaragarittaVille? Try the west End of Roatan.

Robinson Crusoe with maximum diving (and shore diving)? RobinT has it right with CoCoView.

Early Caribbean atmosphere http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Stop_the_Carnival and lack of crowds? Utila.

If you want a Rastafarian in dreadlocks playing a steel drum, you got the wrong historical heritage for the real-estate in question. The controlling landowners are very English speaking second Cousins to Cayman Islanders. The bulk of the populace are lower class working folks including Garifuna, Caribe and "Spaniards" (mainland transplant workers), none of which you are likely to have familial access to. The real (current) Bay Islands culture is MTV, hiphop and a blending of subculture affectations that most North American visiting divers can not relate to very well.

The Caribbean is largely a Petri Dish of recently introduced cultures. Add in the advent of availability of American Pop Culture and all bets are off. In Bonaire, very few divers ever hear anyone speak the local Papiamento language, yet many divers who visit there walk away thinking they have Bonaire all figured out.

Local flavor? Maybe. Island culture? Not really.

But to paraphrase BKPix....
Like they say: opinions are like a*%#@$*s, everybody has one; so that was mine.

Now, for some mathematics....

...we would like to dive a minimum of 2/day. If not more. Perhaps with shore diving as well.

The best and arguably only real shore dive on Roatan is the one that is shared by CCV and FIBR. It is essentially a doable dive 24/7/365 and the parade of divers doing it (certainly as compared to any other theoretical shore dives on Roatan) goes a long way to prove that.

Not real sure about Shore Diving Utila in that comparative way. Some folks are claiming shore dive access there, but I would like to see the satellite imagery map for that one. I've not yet been wowed.

Two a day is a reachable goal at any dive op anywhere in the Bay Islands. At some dive ops, that is the likely maximum.

... If not more....

Therein lies the crux of the biscuit. DiverSteve made a reference to that issue. In Roatan, at the day-dive ops, getting three a day is a dead-run hustle. As he mentions, you can make this more do-able if you go back and forth between nearby West End day-dive ops, working their boat departure schedules in a mix and match way. Night dives, if they have enough divers, are once a week.

This scheduling of dives is very typical of any dive operation focused on Euro-Asian visiting divers. Since the British gave birth to West End Roatan diving, that's how their day got laid out. Factor in the size of their boats and ability to carry multiple tanks, the catering to Cruise Ship guests on a schedule- that's why it is laid out the way it is.

If you want 3 or 4 a day plus an easy night dive every night, your choices are much more limited. See RobinT's advice above.

You have to decide really and assuredly how much diving you want in a day. That will make the decision for you on Roatan. On Utila, the dive-ops are on a fairly equal footing and schedule, so this is not as much of an issue.

Great remarks by everyone so far. Everyone has their own honest opinion about the best places. Several suggestions are by very avid divers that want to dive 5 times a day. That's a lot for many people and you specifically mentioned 2 a day or more. You can do that virtually everywhere. If you have other things you want to do as I often do, some places lend themselves to that better than others. Again you can walk everywhere on Utila but few places other than West End on Roatan. I like Roatan a lot but an AI isn't for everyone especially someone that may want to wander around a bit. West End has many choices but it's a fairly frantic place compared to other areas. It's certainly not for everyone.
I'm often surprised by comments make about Bonaire. It's a great place that I've visited 3 times so far. I like that fact that you can easily rent a vehicle and then drive safely anywhere on the island. There are lots of restaurants scattered most around town and there's even a interesting park on the island. One thing many people don't mention about Bonaire however, is that there is terrific boat diving and it's less expensive than almost anyplace in the world. The reason is simple. There is much competition from less expensive shore diving. I don't particularly like shore diving however because it can be messy and strenuous. I also prefer diving with a local guide that can help find interesting things to see. This is especially helpful for new divers. You can easily get in 3 boat dives a day almost anywhere on Bonaire and it will be very inexpensive. You have the choices of apartments, condos, hotels and all inclusives there.
I'd rank Utila, Bonaire and Roatan as best places in that order based on things I think you've indicated but you won't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks again everyone! I think we have decided on Utila. It seems to be what we are looking for!
Amanda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom