Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great recap on day 2 ... crazy (and yet not surprising) that someone would run a line straight through the ear. Did you ever figure out if that was on purpose?

Friends don't let friends put lines right in the Ear. Someone did that last week, the line got loose and became a hazard. If you must run a line, there is a "handle" rock on the left wall once you enter the Ear.

Great recap on day 2 ... crazy (and yet not surprising) that someone would run a line straight through the ear. Did you ever figure out if that was on purpose?

Nope, he guessed it was the swimming team that we spotted at 2K before I turned us. I'm not 100% sure and one was OC, and you have to be a pretty strong OC swimmer to get that far swimming.
Friends don't let friends put lines right in the Ear. Someone did that last week, the line got loose and became a hazard. If you must run a line, there is a "handle" rock on the left wall once you enter the Ear.
That is what I do if I have to run a line in the Ear, but TBH I don't run primary at Ginnie outside of classes. Particularly if it is busy, I tell others not to bother so they can leave room for classes, I couldn't run a line in the Eye yesterday because there was already four there.

If you want to practice running lines you can do that in the gallery or through the catacombs.

@Manatee Diver We all have shi--y days even if we're "bad ass cave divers". When I took ccr cave crossover with @kensuf I embarassed the hell out of myself. I got through full cave, dpv, multi-stage cave classes and never once was required to run a line in the Ear. Up until Ken's class I had not once ran or pulled a line from the Ear. So during class my wife was reeling up the line on our exit from the ear. Above us hanging around the tree were a bunch of open water divers. Some were swimming down towards us, some were staying on the log, but either way it had me distracted. And at that point I still wasn't the best ccr diver so distraction = loss of bouyancy. So I started drifting up, these OW divers were in my way, and my dumb brain tells me to start unlooping some of the tie offs and then turn around 180 degrees to signal that there were divers above us. All that did was release 7 feet of line that I then decided to twist all around in and entangle myself to an unrecoverable state. I think my wife and Ken both had to cut the line cause just one or two cuts wasn't enough.

I recall coming out of the Ear when I got one of my fins entangled in someone's line. I was flopping around like someone in a Road-Runner cartoon, or maybe Elmer Fudd.

I was able to free my self, barely. When I surfaced a fellow cave instructor looked at me, deadpan serious and said "Man, that was amateur hour".

I went away with my tail tucked between my legs. I have one wish on this. I wish that was the only amateur hour moment I have ever had in a cave.

Self-Honesty and admitting mistakes will help you become a better and safer cave diver.

@Manatee Diver We all have shi--y days even if we're "bad ass cave divers". When I took ccr cave crossover with @kensuf I embarassed the hell out of myself. I got through full cave, dpv, multi-stage cave classes and never once was required to run a line in the Ear. Up until Ken's class I had not once ran or pulled a line from the Ear. So during class my wife was reeling up the line on our exit from the ear. Above us hanging around the tree were a bunch of open water divers. Some were swimming down towards us, some were staying on the log, but either way it had me distracted. And at that point I still wasn't the best ccr diver so distraction = loss of bouyancy. So I started drifting up, these OW divers were in my way, and my dumb brain tells me to start unlooping some of the tie offs and then turn around 180 degrees to signal that there were divers above us. All that did was release 7 feet of line that I then decided to twist all around in and entangle myself to an unrecoverable state. I think my wife and Ken both had to cut the line cause just one or two cuts wasn't enough.

You forgot the part about the guy with the selfie stick and go-pro that kept sticking it in your face and that both C and I were stuck deciding between laughing and helping you. THE Derek Ferguson and I did something similar to each other in Hart once, stuff happens.

You forgot the part about the guy with the selfie stick and go-pro that kept sticking it in your face and that both C and I were stuck deciding between laughing and helping you. THE Derek Ferguson and I did something similar to each other in Hart once, stuff happens.
I think some of the details are blurry due to the effects of the trauma

Makes me feel better.

Chris asked me to hold off posting about the class until I have passed the class. I will respect his wishes.

I wrote my thoughts about day 3 in my note book, and will update once I work on my issues and pass.

Well I followed @rddvet advice and kept an ear to the ground, I purchased one of EE's used XJ-Ss, I picked the one with the newest battery pack, apparently it got flooded and serviced a few months ago, so it only had less than 150 battery cycles. I can't bring it home until I earn the Cave DPV cert.

I'm not completely giving up on the Blacktip, I am going to figure out why it flooded. And probably put a T-handle that puts a finger lever which deals with my biggest compliant. If that fixes that issue I will probably keep it around as a tow scooter once I feel the need to have one. But I just like the XJ and the trigger.

BT update:

After paying $160 to ship it to Dive Xtras, I was informed that the tail cone was cracked it was cost $760 to repair as the motor had to be replaced. I should have it back in the next month or so. I decided to check on the batteries, the are supposed to be fairly water resistant, and the flood wasn't bad. So I charged them outside connected to a GFCI outlet with an extension cord and a fire extinguisher near by. Charged up fine, no fires.

I am not sure how I can going to test the scooter, maybe after I get the T handle take it on some easy dives with a buddy, maybe the bone or hill 400 circuit dives. I don't want to store it for two years and find that it floods like it did on my first dive. As my Suex will be my primary scooter, the BT will be sitting for the near term.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom