Hornby Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It has been sometime since I dived the Islands HAs anyone been to Hornby lately? Are the 6 gills becoming more frequent?

GDI:
It has been sometime since I dived the Islands HAs anyone been to Hornby lately? Are the 6 gills becoming more frequent?
We try to get to the Island whenever we can. Last summer/fall there we a few sightings, none for us though. Seems like the divers Down South (Seattle area) from us have been seeing more and more.

We were there about 3 weeks ago. Did Flora Islet and Heron Rocks. Didn't see any at all that day, but there were some sightings the previous day, so I was told.

Did four dives on July 18,19th at Hornby Island. No sightings and was told the last sighting was a week before. The visibility was around 15 ft, even at the 80 ft ledge, so unless one swims right up to you, its going to be tough to spot one. Still the diving was fantastic. Don't go there just to look for six gills, you'd miss out on a whole lot of other interesting critters.

saw one off Flora about a week ago, was approx 7-8 feet long at 120 feet, pretty slim pickings lately, it was at night though, might have been the difference

Going up tp Comox this weekend...too bac they never got that 737 down for us to dive...I guess we'll just keep looking for the 6 gills...Will report back on Monday

Mark

What is going on with the 737? Haven't heard anything in quite a while.

Bill.

When in the Vancouver Island area I always look for more than just 6 gills. There is so much to see in that area of the world, What is this about Comox and a 737? I use to live in Comox on the base.

GDI:

The Artificial Reef Society of BC was going to sink a 737 near Sechelt. I heard that last summer. Next I read it was going to be near Comox, read that in early spring. What happened in between I don't know. Now it sounds like the plane hasn't been sunk yet and I haven't seen any updates as to why or what is going to happen.

http://www.artificialreef.bc.ca/Ships/ARS-540/index.htm

Bill.

GDI:

Did 6 dives between Aug 6th - 8th and did not see any sharks. Beautiful vis though (75 feet +). Profile varied with the dives but we hung out mostly between 60 - 90 feet as they are most sighted in that range.

Henry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom