Hose change - wrench size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
They seem to come in a variety of sizes. I just use whatever wrench fits. :D

Exactly... A port size is pretty much fixed, but a hose fitting varies in size...

Man, don't think too much and waste your time. Just pick whatever wrench fits and go dive...

Well first off, get your left handed screwdriver, the metric adjustable wrench...maybe the imperial one if the metric one doesn't fit. You might need a Johnson rod or a headweigh. And then once you have all that, use the one that fits :D

CresentHammer works for me! Common everyone has used one as a hammer. LOL

Just use whatever wrench fits, and don't worry about whether it might be a few microns off.

If that doesn't work, try the imperial cresent wrench. :D

confession: when I installed my hoses for the first time I actually used a torque wrench set to 40 inch pounds. I too was concerned about precision. Now I find a wrench that fits and go at it. The trick is it does not take much torque. 40 inch pounds is not too much tighter than hand tight. Just don't use a pair of pliars, unless they are metric. sorry.

I use precision tools in my work, and when I was starting out, they sent me for a whole bucnh of things I thought were lead ons for me, the rookie to go fetch.
A few I cannot say the name, even thought thwey are real tools, but the one I use the most is a "Snipe tool". I figured they were pulling my leg, untill I got yelled at by the boss. It really exists!! as well as a snipe wratchete (SP) that goes with it.
I am not too sure how much is allowed to be said here in these forums but there are a multitude of items similar to what we are joking about here. A can of compression, A box of fightline, A can of propwash, A composite magnet, etc.

Thanks for the chuckle everyone :) since I've been wrenching on various brand motorcycles for many years I own both metric and imperial adjustable wrenches so I should be fine. And yes, I'm no doubt overthinking this - comes from the MC wrenching; when you're flying down the front straight, throttle pinned, you want to be sure your brakes work for that 20 mph turn one that's rapidly approaching ...

What bugged/surprised me was how far off the actual size all the nuts were - to the point where marring/rounding of cornes seems almost guaranteed. While adjustable wrenches are convenient I tend not to use them too much as there's always a bit of flex in the jaws, and if you want to put some pressure on a fastener, an adjustable is likely to flex, slip off and bugger up the fastener in the process - not to mention skinning your knuckles on surrounding hardware.

Of course, given the hopefully very minimal torque necessary, the adjustable should work just fine.

Thanks again.

Henrik

Easy solution:
Make U.S. to use all tool in metric. U.S. is only one country for imperial......

Teamcasa:
Maybe they have gone back to Wentworth sizing?

Dave

I have an antique Wentworth crescent wrench.

HenrikBP:
While adjustable wrenches are convenient I tend not to use them too much as there's always a bit of flex in the jaws, and if you want to put some pressure on a fastener, an adjustable is likely to flex, slip off and bugger up the fastener in the process - not to mention skinning your knuckles on surrounding hardware.

Of course, given the hopefully very minimal torque necessary, the adjustable should work just fine.

Thanks again.

Henrik

You don't need the torque of taking off a rusty lug nut to remove a reg hose. If you do, it's probably time to replace it anyway. You're only compressing an O ring putting them on also so don't make it too tight.
By the way, 9/16 is pretty common and 5/8 for the hp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom