Hose Hanger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I designed this hanger to help rebreather divers dry the loop hose assembly after cleaning. I had mentioned it in one of the Scuba forums, and several people had asked me about getting one, so here is that information.

If you don’t completely disassemble the inhale hose, exhale hose, and DSV/BOV for cleaning, it can be easy for moisture to pool inside the assembly. Hanging the hose vertically, with the DSV open and the exhale side down will allow water to drip out of the unit, in the direction of flow determined by the mushroom valves. However, given the weight of the DSV/BOV as well as any additional hose weights, this method has a tendency to stretch out the inhale hose, as it supports more weight.

The hose hanger uses a simple loop of cave line or other string to take the weight off the upper portion of the loop as it hangs vertically, adjustable for any length. The string supports the hose by the HUD holder or any other attachment point. While originally designed for the JJ CCR, it can be used on any model with an appropriate hose diameter (1 5/8 inches or less between corrugations, to fit in the slot) and a connection flange.

I had the CAD file made by someone I found using the excellent Upwork.com freelancing site. I then found Mark Heller, a 3D print shop owner who was terrific to work with. Mark was able to help me optimize the design to control costs, and he is willing to print and ship these (continental US) for a total price of $29.95 - much cheaper than the previous printer that I worked with. I get nothing out of these sales, just trying to share a design and help out a friendly small businessman!

Here is the link for ordering...

Hose_Hanger_20181028_e.jpg

We just used 1/4" line tied or spliced into a 12-16" in diameter loop in the Navy. One end of the loop would hang on a hook or get tied to a pipe with a girth hitch. A girth hitch was then slipped on the hose. With a little practice you can make the hitch with one hand in well under a second before slipping the hose in the loop.

Edit: The girth hitch is completed about the 16 second mark on this video. The added knot is to prevent the bitter-end from pulling out when knot is technically a cow-hitch. The load is on both lines on a girth hitch so it can't pull out.

We just used 1/4" line tied or spliced into a 12-16" in diameter loop in the Navy. One end of the loop would hang on a hook or get tied to a pipe with a girth hitch. A girth hitch was then slipped on the hose. With a little practice you can make the hitch with one hand in well under a second before slipping the hose in the loop.

Nice! So you used to dry hoses the same way, hanging vertically with support at the midpoint to take the weight off?

Nice! So you used to dry hoses the same way, hanging vertically with support at the midpoint to take the weight off?

The hoses were tuff enough that the center support wasn't required -- some sort of fiber-reinforced mil-spec thing. They had to be replaced pretty often because the rubber would rot, especially in the sun.

I suppose you could make the loop of line larger so you could tie another girth hitch (end of hose and at the mouthpiece). We didn't have that many mixed gas units on the sat diving teams to deal with but the UDT/SEALs had 30-50 pure O2 rebreathers to maintain almost daily.

I often thought of designing a blower that would dry the entire loop after the 'sorb was dumped but never got around to it. It wouldn't take much to rewire a hair dryer that had really low heat settings. You would still want to disassemble everything for washing but it would sure make the drying process easier, especially in the tropics.

Good looking hanger......... Weird "orthopedic" color.

Hah!

I went through a number of versions before the final one, and I made them different colors so that I could keep track easily of which was which. But if you buy one from Mark, you have a choice of eight colors!

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 10.27.34 AM.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom