Hose horns. tough as nails or fragile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@James79 , It's hard to get a good picture but there's not enough clearance between the horn and the can to get the ring in there.
horn conflict.jpg

@James79 , It's hard to get a good picture but there's not enough clearance between the horn and the can to get the ring in there.
View attachment 814734
Using my son's DAAM as a visual aid... I pull the screw completely out of the clamp ring and place it on the mechanism side can in the approximate orientation it needs:
IMG_20231208_151619788_HDR.jpg

Then I put the exhaust can on, and with the screw removed there is plenty of room to pop it up over the lip of the exhaust can... in fact you will have to squeeze the tabs together to keep it in place and start the screw:
IMG_20231208_151636941_HDR.jpg

The ring is surprisingly thin right there at the notch, and can slip between the horn and can in 99.9% of cases:
IMG_20231208_151423157_HDR.jpg

So tighten the screw down (fine tuning your can alignment before it gets tight) and Bob's your uncle:
IMG_20231208_151357225_HDR.jpg

Respectfully,

James

@James79 that's not working for me. Do all the horns have the same shape. Some pictures seem to look like one side is flatter. My horn is more of an hourglass shape.

horn.jpg

Looks like your is tighter then everyone else's.... maybe some trimming is in order... but then it will not be chromed there...

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised to see how good of shape it was in when I got it apart. The hoses and mouthpiece seem to be sound but I can't really get them "clean" enough where I want to breathe through them.
…since I really haven’t seen the MP, tee, or one way valves it’s hard to say. I bought a ‘worn’ and neglected Drager ( see my avatar ) ….no way to get replacements for these parts. I disassembled, washed in the vinegar/water solution and carefully scrubbed the surface of the rubber with non-stick cooking pan scrubber, the insides, and everything until like new. ….found out the mouthpiece assembly wasn’t brown, but a beautiful blue. The inside of the tee was brass and I got it shining. The one way valves were a different story. I had to save the Drager ‘wagon wheels’ as they were not same as most replacement ones anywhere and just add new mushroom valves to them. After extensively cleaning and restoring the can and insides as well as the springs coming from the horns, I was able to replace the stiff split hoses with new ones from TSM. the diaphragm was like a reinforced rubber bellows, sorta and it was surprisingly like new and supple. Now it’s one of my best breathing regulators. Now I wish I kept a photo journal of this restoration. It was one of my first. If you really want, unless it’s just trashed you can restore the MP and tee.

Scott G. Bonser

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom