Hoseless AI computers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
does anyone use one? also how do you like it? what are some other manufacturers besides sunnto, uwatec, and cochran?

I have the Suunto Vytec and I really like it. I don't like "extra" hoses so I really like having the computer on my wrist and the air integration is really cool! You'll find lots of people who like AI/hoseless and some that don't trust them (or computers in general for that matter). I trust computers more than my brain (again, many here would disagree with that) so the Suunto Vytec works great for me.

BTW, I looked at the Uwatec and they have a nice computer as well. But, I don't like the way they handled the recall on the SmartCom last summer so I don't really trust them as much as Suunto right now. Both of their computers are very nice though.

Pelagic makes wireless AI computers - VT Pro from Oceanic and the Aeris Atmos Elite (maybe?). I have a VT Pro and I've never had a significant problem other than a squirrelly depth reading one time. Oceanic is going to produce a NICE wireless AI dive watch capable of utilizing 3 gases this spring called the Atom. You can get more info about it from the oceanic website at www.oceanicww.com.

I have a Vytec.

I have previously used an Eon and a Cobra (I have also used Nitek 3, Nitek Plus Scubapro DC12, Poseidon/Zeagle status 2, Orca Edge and Scubapro/SOS "bendomatic") ; I like air integration. I have come to really prefer wrist mounting of my instruments. The Vytec is the logical choice for me.

Suunto have in my opinion the best download software and once you get used to the computers they are easy to use and reasonably conservative.

I have the sender unit mounted on a short 7" HP hose ( use a standard SPG "spigot"). I think this is a much safer and robust arrangement particualrly as I do a lot of cave diving.

I started using a Suunto Vytec a several months ago - excellent computer. Never have had any problems with it so far. I still keep my Vyper and my spg on a console tucked away as redundancy.

bertschb once bubbled...
BTW, I looked at the Uwatec and they have a nice computer as well. But, I don't like the way they handled the recall on the SmartCom last summer so I don't really trust them as much as Suunto right now. Both of their computers are very nice though.

Just thought I'd reply to not trusting UWATEC. I had a SmartCom that was recalled, and Uwatec did right by me! The SmartCom was on backorder and rather than make me wait they offered to ship me the Air Z Nitrox as a no charge upgrade. While I was not too pleased that my dive computer was being recalled, I am still impressed on how they treated me. Just though I'd add my 2 cents. :D

abowie once bubbled...
Suunto have in my opinion the best download software and once you get used to the computers they are easy to use and reasonably conservative.

I have two Cobras that I still use when my wife and I dive together, and I agree that the Suunto computers are about the easiest to navigate. The interface is reasonably intuitive, so it's a safe bet if you can set your VCR clock you can use a Suunto computer.

To be honest, I would have liked to go the Vytec route, but at the end of the day, for the feature set, I didn't think the Vytec was worth $250 more than the VT Pro. Since that time, I've purchased the 'new' download kit for the VT Pro. It's worth mentioning that the kit from Oceanic is now USB - which is a big plus to me, as I have 6 USB ports and only one serial port (taken by my hyperaqualand).

I dive with an uwatec air z nitrox.....I have about 60 dives on it
and I love mine...I have never had any problems with my unit.

I also got the download software and I am pleased with the interface, The "memomouse" is a nice feature when your away on a trip, because it holds hours of dives, it worked great on my trip to Maui last year.

I vote for Uwatec/Scubapro.....:eek:ut:

Back
Top Bottom