Common Use of the Term AI when talking computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was curious as to the use of the acronym "AI" when folks here on SB are talking computers in various threads. I've personally always considered AI to stand for "Air Integrated" - or "Air Integration".......but I think sometimes others here may be thinking that the term AI is referring only to wireless computers involving HP transmitters.

I still use my Oceanic Pro Plus 3 which is a "hosed" air integrated computer.......

Just curious about how others interpret and/or use the term AI?

PS..... Not talking about Artificial Intelligence!!! :)

I refer to AI as air integrated, hoseless (transmitter) or hosed. A couple people in my family still dive Oceanic Pro Plus 2s.

I agree, and use AI from the context of "air integration/ air integrated" whether wireless or not.

I was curious as to the use of the acronym "AI" when folks here on SB are talking computers in various threads. I've personally always considered AI to stand for "Air Integrated" - or "Air Integration".......but I think sometimes others here may be thinking that the term AI is referring only to wireless computers involving HP transmitters.

I still use my Oceanic Pro Plus 3 which is a "hosed" air integrated computer.......

Just curious about how others interpret and/or use the term AI?

PS..... Not talking about Artificial Intelligence!!! :)

It should be noted though, that since wireless transmitters have improved and folks willing to spend money on them compared to having a computer tethered to one's regulator set via a HP hose, most discussion in the recent handful of years that reference AI computers are specifically referring to the wireless/hoseless air integrated variety.

-Z

There are no wires :)

thanks, just went back and edited my post to indicate wireless/hoseless. The notion of wireless refers to the link between the transmitter and the computer not the 1st stage and the computer which would, as you correctly point out/imply is either hose connected or hoseless.

-Z

Although Air Integration/AI means computer is sensing the tank pressure and displaying gas pressure, etc. without implying if there is a physical contact with the first stage on the tank(s) or not, the dominant understanding and reference on SB to AI is "hoseless." New people on SB may not know this so it will be confusing to them. Note also that AI with hose is becoming rare these days with only very few mfg. still making it.

Reactions: Zef
All great responses. Thanks! To be honest, I even had a difficult time switching from a standard SPG to the Pro Plus 3. I guess I just had the old "boomer" mindset that actual physical "pressure" pushing a needle to move the needle was more trustworthy than a computer taking data, storing it..... and then displaying it.

But....... I also think that proper planning and totally understanding and calculating your RMV and SAC for a specific dive profile is the ultimate best practice rather than 100% trusting any gauge or computer.

There usually isn’t much discussion of hosed AI.
Though many years ago I dived with a Suunto Cobra which is hosed AI, I would agree. As such the term AI usually equates to hoseless (transmitter) AI.

Sometimes it refers to Artificial Intelligence. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom