Hotel Cozumel And Dive Paradise Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kokanee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having a serious bout of Post-Dive Trip Depression; all I can think about as I soak my gear in the bathtub is how to sneak in another quick trip to Coz. And turtles. And friendly parrotfish faces.

Anyway, since I have seen many questions regarding Hotel Cozumel as well as comments regarding the food I thought Id'e throw in my own humble opinion.

About the food: its good/decent. Breakfast is what they do best, its all served buffet style with a cooked-to-order egg station and your usual variety of breakfast items. Lunch is served in the beach restaurant which is sooooo convenient for divers, its literally right next to the dive lockers. They had 2 grill items everyday, a rotation of fajitas, fish and hamburgers as well as some very good slow cooked meat dishes and fresh ceviche. Yum. There is also a bar there for a post-dive beer or margarita. Dinner was basically a repeat of lunch but with the AI price being so reasonable you could easily walk into town for something more foodie.

The hotel itself is nice; the rooms are basic but clean. The staff is great. The bartenders are generous. Everyone gets a dive locker. The shore diving is good. Thats really all I want on a dive trip. They occationally play music too loud but no worries.

We choose Dive Paradise mostly for convenience, as they have a shop at the hotel, and because they run an afternoon dive everyday. We choose the 'caribbean' boat because we're not in any hurry and like shade, after all they all go to the same places, right? Also the pricing is such that 3 tanks on the caribbean boat was something like $94 (because you get a discount if you take the slow boat and stay at Hotel Cozumel) versus something like $120 for the fast boat in the am plus the afternoon dive.

This worked out well for the most part. There were never more than 16 divers on the boat, usually less. We, the divers, got to choose the dive sites. The caribbean boats are slower but they took us to Palancar and Columbia. Except for a boat called the Sagittario. The Sagittario is really slow. If you get on the Sagittario you are probably going as far as Tormentos. That's my only complaint about DP. I have read comments regarding DP going to 'beginner' or 'easy' sites (whatever that's supposed to mean) but that was not my experience. Those posters must have been on the Sagittario. Most of my dive were in the 55-58 minute range, the longest 72, the shortest 45. Only got signaled to ascend a couple of times (the 45 min. dive) other than that we got to stay down as long as we wanted.

Would I stay there again? Yes. Would I dive with Dive Paradise again? Yes, but I would check the night before to see what boat I am on and possibly switch to a fast boat to avoid the Sagittario. We were happy with the other boats. We were happy with the DMs as well, they have a great crew, no complaints there.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like my exact same experience back when I was lucky enough to do one of the scubaboard invasions. Your description was like being transported back in time 5 years. Loved the convenience of the beach bar restaurant coming back from diving too.

thanks for sharing ......good info to know.

And if you can't find something good at the beach club restaurant you can always hit the pool snack bar & get fajitas or Tacos off the grill there.

Like most places I have visited in Mexico and Honduras their beds are hard as rocks...at least for me. I usually buy a memory foam pad at Walmart and take it with me. Then I leave it there. If I am going to spend a couple thousand on air fare, hotel and diving spending a hundred for a queen size pad so my gf and I can have a good night sleep is money well spent.

BTW...nice report. :)

The beds are just mattresses on top of concrete pads which is a very common method of doing it in Coz & maybe Mexico etc, however Blue Angel had conventional beds which were comfortable if you're interested. I personally am quite happy with the hard beds. Those extra wide pillows get replaced as soon as I can request the old fashioned regular ones. Also note that you can request a pole lamp if you find it dark when working at the table. Not everyone at the front desks may understand what you're asking for but they are available in limited numbers.

Nice trip report, and as a diver that has stayed/dove with Hotel Coz and Dive Paradise close to 20 times now, I thought your report was spot on accurate and shows exactly why we keep going back there every time.

Great trip report ! Very accurate description of Hotel Cozumel - have stayed there before and wouldn't hesitate to stay again other than missing out on too many other great choices in town for meals. For that reason, Hotel Barracuda works perfectly even though the rooms are even more basic - it's clean, affordable, safe and in an ideal location. I agree that Dive Paradise has a great crew, and have always dove with them. The dive sites are based on divers choice as you said (subject to conditions) and I have never felt like we are limited to beginner locations. In addition, I actually prefer the Caribbean trips to the fast boats. Yes - sometimes it's slower, but also much more comfortable than the smaller boats. Your trip report makes me even more excited to be there next week !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom