Hotel on the Cay-St. Croix--BAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The only thing I can say is OH MY GOD!

This place is basically a trailer park on an island. We checked in Sept. 25th in the evening and I could not believe my eyes. We had a "Suite" but I don't think the "Suite" mentality survives within this locale.

Hmmm, where to start....we walked in and the room was very musty and damp. I walk behind the bar and see that the fridge on the floor is open a bit. I walk over to it to close it and I hear a squish from my sandles. There is water all over the floor from the fridge as someone was defrosting it all over the floor. It did not work. One we moved from the "sitting room" part of our suite into the sleeping area the first thing we see is a big sign under the A/C controller----DO NOT TURN BELOW 75 DEGREES........WILL CAUSE MAJOR DAMAGE TO THE AIR CONDITIONING UNIT. Needless to say the room was not cool. The unit was running but not cooling. My wife needed to freshin' up from the long day of traveling. I continued to look around the "Suite" and found water stains both on the walls and the ceiling. My wife comes out of the bathroom and notifies me that the toilet won't flush and their is no hot water. All this from a place that is charging $130/night for low season.

We grab our stuff and head out in search of dinner and a new place to stay. We run into a very nice local couple at STIXX. They are having dinner and overhear us talking to our waiter about our problem and she offers to help. She works with the AARP on setting up group trips to the island. She is very helpful in assisting us with our needs. In town, beach, etc.. We call Tamarind Reef Hotel. I talk to Vernon and again explain our problem. I kindly request that he not rip my head off for the perdicament I am in and remind him that this is low season and there are very few people on the island. He makes me a sweatheart deal or as we call it......a brother-in-law deal. Gives me the corporate rate and gives me our first night free. Saved us about $30 night over the "suite" program at Hotel on the Cay and the facilities were perfect and right on the beach. Great Pool and everyone did what they could to accomodate us. THANKS VERNON!

We dove with S.C.U.B.A. and they did a fine job. Great boat and crew. The diving was good but not great as many had suggested prior to our departing. The reefs have been heaviliy fished so the reef life is very lacking as compared to what we are used to in Coz. The reefs were in decent shape but lots of dead coral around as well.

If you get out to the sites that are not easliy accessed by shore then the reef life picked up. East Wall at Salt River was a wonderful dive as was Pavillion. Tried to get to Vertigo but the seas were too rough and there is no mooring at that site due to depth of the wall.

All in all we had a great time exploring a new island. It's just that the tip did not start well. Thanks to everyone who assisted us with our island info. Scuba-Vixon, sorry we never ran into you but thank you. You have a nice piece of heaven.

5615mike once bubbled...
If you get out to the sites that are not easliy accessed by shore then the reef life picked up. East Wall at Salt River was a wonderful dive as was Pavillion

I liked that area when we stayed on St. Croix. Sorry about the resort. I'm glad you had the sense to look elsewhere! I have been known to "make the best of it" when we should probably have cut our losses and looked elsewhere. How did you book the deal with the first place?

Hotel on the Cay was a Time Share deal that was given to my by a client. They have several time shares and gave us a week. We chose the location through RCI but really knew nothing about the facility other than what was on their website. As we all know, you have to take all that with that grain of salt. Those pictures were probably more than 5 years old and the room we saw on the webiste, they only have one of and it was not available. HUM. Have not talked with my client about this yet. Not really looking forward to it as I don't want to sound like I'm bit%^en.

All in all it was a good 10 days.

I am sorry that your initial accomodations were so poor...I am definitely crossing them off of my list.

So how was the shore diving, really? Keep in mind that Coz seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, when it comes to diving.

How easy to access were the shore dives? Was the wall or reef relatively close to shore? How was the water clarity, temp. etc...?

Any big animals? Any particular small ones that stand out? What was your favorite dive and why? What was your least favorite and why?

What do you mean the reef was all fished out? Did the locals say it was because of overfishing, or could it have been because of something else?

I know, I know, a lot of questions. But if you answer at least one, I will know more than I did 10 minutes ago...

Thanks

Petti-F-er

Pettifogger once bubbled...
I am sorry that your initial accomodations were so poor...I am definitely crossing them off of my list.

So how was the shore diving, really? Keep in mind that Coz seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, when it comes to diving.

How easy to access were the shore dives? Was the wall or reef relatively close to shore? How was the water clarity, temp. etc...?

There are several dives that are accessable from shore but we did not do any shore diving. Cane Bay Dive shop does a lot of shore diving. Any reef that is accessable from shore is very devoid of fish life other than small fish, Damsels, etc.. The wall at Cane Bay is about 200 yards from shore. Clarity was about 60 feet, temp - bottom temp was always.......believe it or not 84-86 degrees. Four different computers were registering the same temp. Could not believe it.

Any big animals? Any particular small ones that stand out? What was your favorite dive and why? What was your least favorite and why?[/B]

We saw one eagle ray about 60-65 feet away. I could just barely make out that he was there......then he was gone. We saw 3 turtles in 10 dives....not many. Favorite Dive was a toss up between Rosa Maria Barge and Salt River East Wall. Never done a wreck so that was new for us. Quite neat. Rosa Maria is a 150ft barge sitting in about 100 ft of water. A tug boat is about 100 ft away in a bit shallower water. There were more fish on East wall than anywhere else since the mooring was so far off shore and the seas are usually tougher there. Other sites we saw the largest Trumpet Fish I have every seen. Saw more soldier fish and black durgens than I have ever seen anywhere but they were all small.

What do you mean the reef was all fished out? Did the locals say it was because of overfishing, or could it have been because of something else?[/B]

Many locals both divers and non-divers said that the reefs have all been heavily fished commercially and by spearfisherman as most of the dive sites are not part of a national park and not protected. We saw small boats out in front of our hotel everyday on the reefs and I know they were spearfishing because I watched them.

I know, I know, a lot of questions. But if you answer at least one, I will know more than I did 10 minutes ago...[/B]

Thanks

Petti-F-er

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom