"Hottest Gimp" award

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great spirit. You can either be bummed & miserable or come sit in the sun, drink cocktails at the Tiki Bar and bubble watch. Better watch out for Chad though...
"Hey I will still be at Key Largo.....sorry Spec."

so ready to throw you under the bus! LOL:slick:

Well I went in for that token visit to get a referral and get an MRI ordered. I was smart enough to bring in all the stuff from the doctor yesterday; so he looked it over, said "No need for me to diagnose", gave me a referral and ordered the MRI [for wednesday morning].

When we were talking about surgeons, he asked some very... disturbing... questions.

"What do you do?"
"Software engineer"
"So skiing is just a hobby?"
"Ski Racing is a very important hobby, yes".
"But it's not an income thing. You don't make any money at it?"
"No".

I'm trying to believe that the questions were standard probative questions for workmans comp claims, but it still disturbs me. I'm distrustful of doctors anyway, so what was the true motivation for that line of questioning? If I still skiied professionally, would that have changed recommendations and/or procedures?

I'm sure I am reading stuff into this, but it was like he was thinking "so, if we give you crappy care, it won't effect your livelyhood"...

I think he was looking for a new sugar daddy and was evaluating you as a prospect. Blue spandex, spider webs, probing questions...you do the math.

Spectre-

The questions most likely are alittle of both. For ACL reconstruction there are (at least) 3 options for the graft (repair material)-

allograft (cadaver tissue)- most expensive, fastest recovery, this is what they commonly do for professional athletes (also what I had done). Insurance doesn't like to cover it, but if your surgeon will go to bat for you, you have a good chance at getting them to cover it.

Patellar Tendon graft- they cut a chunk out of your patellar tendon, with bone at either end, and use this as the graft material (this is the same type tissue they use for the allograft). Good graft material, slower recovery time, as you have basically 2 surgical sites to heal. Some residual quadriceps weakness is common post surgery.

Hamstring tendown graft.- this option uses tendon from around the hamstring as graft material. This is the least favorable self graft option, and chronic hamstring weakness is common after reconstruction. This has the longest and (from what I was told) most painful recovery time.

I strongly suggest you get a GOOD surgeon. Look for one who specializes in sports medicine, they tend to be more aggressive about treatment and rehab. I was weight bearing and walking less than 24 hours after surgery, I was only in a brace, never casted. I started rehab as soon as the stitches came out (approx. 10 days). I have had great results with my ACL reconstruction. I would be happy to answer specific questions about my surgery for you, or copy the CD my doc gave me as petient education on surgical options for ACL reconstruction (shows actual surgeries- its cool).

Good Luck

Spectre once bubbled...
Well I went in for that token visit to get a referral and get an MRI ordered. I was smart enough to bring in all the stuff from the doctor yesterday; so he looked it over, said "No need for me to diagnose", gave me a referral and ordered the MRI [for wednesday morning].

When we were talking about surgeons, he asked some very... disturbing... questions.

"What do you do?"
"Software engineer"
"So skiing is just a hobby?"
"Ski Racing is a very important hobby, yes".
"But it's not an income thing. You don't make any money at it?"
"No".

I'm trying to believe that the questions were standard probative questions for workmans comp claims, but it still disturbs me. I'm distrustful of doctors anyway, so what was the true motivation for that line of questioning? If I still skiied professionally, would that have changed recommendations and/or procedures?

I'm sure I am reading stuff into this, but it was like he was thinking "so, if we give you crappy care, it won't effect your livelyhood"...

I don't know if I would read that much into it. Maybe the type of injury combined with your occupation would factor into what surgeon he refers to you - regular orthopedic vs. an ortho that specializes in sports injuries. Also, if he was concerned that the outcome (in his opinion) of the MRI is bad enough to prohibit you from skiing any time soon or ever again, he would be better prepared for your reaction? But no matter what he recommends, I would get two surgeon opinions. Better to be safe.:doctor:

Do you need someone to come up there and make it all better?

Does a stubbed toe count as something that would grant a little help?? :wink: lmao

Spectre once bubbled...
I'll have a better idea after my MRI to know the full extent, and after talking with some orthepedists [one of my friends in my dive club is an orthepedic surgeon, and we'll be having a long chat tomorrow night].

...you might want to ask him about therapies developed by Genzyme. When I was in the Hospital New Products biz a lifetime ago, this company had some hot modalities that might address your situation. You might also want to up your line of credit ....

Here's a starting point for you http://www.genzymebiosurgery.com/opage.asp?ogroup=1&olevel=3&opage=47

chickdiver once bubbled...
I strongly suggest you get a GOOD surgeon. Look for one who specializes in sports medicine, they tend to be more aggressive about treatment and rehab.

The guy I talked to yesterday [who diagnosed the tears] already gave me some exercises to start with, and some training methods as well as some flexing exercises to use immediately. He gave me a recommendation that started with "There is only one person on this earth that I would ever allow in my knee". I did a little digging and this guy specializes in knee & shoulder scoping, as well as meniscus repair and ACL reconstruction. He has done a lot of work on US Ski Team members. So I've got one that will be hard to beat. The only issue is the location; he's about 150 miles away. I'm going to try and remember who did my shoulder 10 years ago as another option.

I was referred to a local guy that does sports medicine; so I'll see what I think of him when he reads the MRI.

Thanks for the specific breakdown of the different procedures. The doctor yesterday mentioned the patellar tendon graft. Then the friend I talked to about her surgery mentioned the hamstring graft, and you were mentioning the allograft. Thanks for drawing 'em all together to clear up the confusion that was brewing!

kjunheart mentioned

I would get two surgeon opinions. Better to be safe

Definately. A friend of mine is an othropedic surgeon, and an extremely experienced diver. I'm seeing him tomorrow night and gave him the warning that I'll be picking his brain [with the questions I posted in diving medicine; as well as "knee guy" recommendations].

Spectre,

So sorry about your weekend skiing mishap. :( That really bites! Good Luck on a speedy recovery and at least we can keep you busy handing out those jello shots. :wink:

You are not a race horse. We would have to take you out back and shoot you. ( and divvy up your gear)

If you need to get a doc out of your area ...we have a great knee guy in the Atlantic City area. He takes care of Flyers,Eagles and Bullies.

Your description on the race reminded me of my first and last Televised Bump Run. DNF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom