Housing and lenses for G12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all

I recently bought a Canon G12 camera and am keen to learn underwater photography. As I need to buy an underwater housing, I have narrowed it down to the Recsea housing vs the Fisheye FIX housing since weight is the key consideration (800g for the Recsea or Fisheye is highly preferable to the 2.7kg Ikelite).

I have read the relevant posts in this forum relating to the G12 and housings but remain unclear about the differences between the Recsea and Fisheye housings specifically for the G12 (I think most of them are talking about S95 housings). Are the Recsea and Fisheye housings essentially the same or is one preferable to the other? If so, which one and why?

Though I am new to underwater photography, I am an experienced semi-professional photographer with a full Canon DSLR kit with numerous L lenses - a selection of my work is on Flickr. However, I have decided not to take the gear underwater (weight of the gear for flying and the risk of flooding, more than anything else, as it would be impossible to replace where I live), so need to get a new underwater setup. I will follow up my housing purchase with strobes, wide conversion lens, etc, at a later date.

All advice and recommendations highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Any help choosing a lens? I see Inon is quite widely used, but at least for me it seems, that the sharpness on the corners isn't that great. Am I wrong?

In addition, a seller recommended buying Dyron 77 mm Macro lens, which comes with a 77 mm - 67 mm stepdown ring. I was told, that this would be a better solution because the lens gets more light due to its bigger size. Is this correct?

Am in a hurry ordering, so please help!

I've now decided to get the Canon WP-DC34 housing for my G12. In addition, I'd like to get a closeup lens for my upcoming Lembeh Strait trip. What would be appropriate for this housing. So far, I've summed up my options to be:

- Dyron 67mm adapter for WP-DC34
- Inon UCL-165M67 OR
- Inon UCL-330M67 OR
- Dyron UCL67II OR
- Epoque DML2-67 OR
- Subsee Magnifier +5 67mm OR
- Subsee Magnifier +10 67mm OR
- Fantasea SharpEye Lens M67

Recommendations/opinions? Has anyone tried a SubSee adapter?

What about the Patima Housing? I'll swear the one sitting on my desk has a TTL capabilities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom