Housing & camera dilemma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battleaxe

New
Reaction score
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this. I am planing to go to hawaii in about a month with friends & was thinking of getting a underwater housing. I have the GF3 + 14mm lens and Sony A57 with few lenses. I was originally thinking of getting the Kodak underwater housing for the GF3, which can be had for about $100 for the 14mm lens model. But, that is pretty much the only lens I have and it's not the best if we go hiking or see wildlife(not to mention it doesn't have some niceties like the Sony or new Panasonic models have, like panorama mode). Then I thought, just bring both the GF3 and A57 for the different usages. Since the GF3 is small enough, both will fit in my camera bag no problem. Part of me wants to just take one camera, more than likely the A57 as two seems like a bit of an overkill. But, then one of my friends I am going with is you can justify both as they have their uses(but my other friends may not see it that way). My sister on the other hand thinks it is also a bit of an overkill.

I did a quick search on amazon, and found I can get a dicapac or the like housing for my A57 also for about $100. If I went with this option I can have a camera that works for all the scenarios I may see(as I have larger native lens selection), but then it becomes a bit bulky(though I don't think too bad) especially if we go snorkeling or swimming with dolphins. I reviews for the DSLR version of the dicapac don't see that reassuring; but conversely the smaller model, which is more designed for cameras like the Panny GF line, or RX100, has more favorable ratings and reviews. The GF3 is a hard shell housing(though not too sure of quality) vs the soft shell being offered for DSLR cameras at that price. Any suggestions, tips or ideas? Thanks.

If you plan on putting a camera in a plastic baggie and taking it underwater, it is probably a good idea to take both cameras as you may need the second one to finish out your trip. If you value your camera in any way, buy a proper housing. If you can't afford one, rent a system from a dive shop.

Plastic bags, cameras and salt water usually don't end well. Get a real dedicated housing. You could also go the Olympus Tough series route. The new version is good down to 50 feet without a housing. Also good for land photography.

Well what would be the best and lowest cost option hard case for the Sony? I know Polaroid(made a mistake and said Kodak in the OP), and Meike both offer a hard shell housing for the GF3(with either the 14mm prime or the 14-42mm standard kit); however, I am not familiar with either products so I am not sure of quality. I get a odd feeling both are the same housing with different names, though not fully sure base on the images on saw on Amazon for the Polaroid vs ebay for the Meike.

I really would prefer to take one camera, not because of size or weight, but because it seems a bit over doing it take two cameras. I prefer to take the Sony as I have a greater selection of lenses vs the Panasonic. But, would it really be over doing it take two? Thanks

Thanks

When it comes to underwater photography the word "cheap" is not in the vocabulary

Do a search on the forum for "Meike" if you need some opinions. (Try also "Meikon") They have been mentioned a few times.

When it comes to underwater photography the word "cheap" is not in the vocabulary

nonononono.gif

Used Fuji, used housing for about 150,-$, self made macro construction for about 20,-

Southern Leyte/Bohol in Feb/March 2013

_DSCF7138b.jpg_DSCF0334b.jpg_DSCF0351b.jpg_DSCF0391b.jpg_DSCF6953b.jpg_DSCF6963b.jpg_DSCF7000b.jpg_DSCF7070b.jpg_DSCF7106b.jpg_DSCF7111b.jpg_DSCF7132b.jpg_DSCF7581b.jpg

some more + larger res. ----> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbxzc9u69cnbp9f/82hHT_S_ri
05.gif

Well I did a search and it seems mostly positive. Anyone have any comments on the Polaroid housing that is available for the GF3?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom