housing info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rig Magician

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking of getting a vedio housing later this year. I like the features of the Amphibco VHQV002 housing. all controlls at your finger tips. Where is the best place to buy these with the best price, or simaler housing. Thanks in advance for the help.
Mark

Rig Magician:
I am thinking of getting a vedio housing later this year. I like the features of the Amphibco VHQV002 housing. all controlls at your finger tips. Where is the best place to buy these with the best price, or simaler housing. Thanks in advance for the help.
Mark

There are a number of good vendors out there. One web site you should become familiar with is B&H . Whether or not you buy from them, the site is a good reference point. If you find a housing with a price that is significantly lower or higher than B&H's price, don't buy it. If you do buy from B&H, the folks at B&H are highly reputable and good to deal with.

(I have no affiliation with the store except as a longtime satisfied customer.)

Rick,
Thanks, I have been looking at there sight lately. they do have some good prices. I was thinking of changing the question a little. what is the best format camera to get, HI8, Digtal, DVD, ETC. If i can order it from wal-mart i can get the money with some safety award points i have and the camera won't cost me anything. Then i just have to chose the housing to fit that camcorder.

Rig Magician:
Rick,
Thanks, I have been looking at there sight lately. they do have some good prices. I was thinking of changing the question a little. what is the best format camera to get, HI8, Digtal, DVD, ETC. If i can order it from wal-mart i can get the money with some safety award points i have and the camera won't cost me anything. Then i just have to chose the housing to fit that camcorder.

I would go DV.

Hi8 can be OK but being analog is harder to edit. Digital8 is an alternative but is something of an orphan format. I would also stay away from direct to DVD camcorders unless you absolutely never intend to edit your footage. The DVD camcorders are also somewhat more expensive. DV these days is getting to be a standard consumer format, generally has an overall better image and is relatively easy to edit on newer computers.

Rick,
Thanks again. Now I just have to chose a coamcorder. i am thinking about a Sony. as for the money for the camera that is no big de3al. it won't cost me anything, it is the housing that will cost the most. again thanks for the help.

Rig Magician:
Rick,

That's and easy question: "Mini DV" Well, unless you can afford HD.

DV has better image quality than DVD and the tapes last an hour DV can be edited better
because each fra is independently compressed and compressed less at that. There is no
generation loss in editing if you stay in the DV format while there is in the DVD format.
Non-digital formats are not worth concidering

If you buy a Sony Mini DV camera you have the widest choise of houings. But in my opinion the most importnt decision is if you want a housing specific to that exact model camera or a generic housing. "generic" means you can upgrade the camera later to a newer model but the down side is the housing will be larger than one that fits ony one model camera. Larger housing need more weight to sink

I have the Top Dawg ousing. But if you can afford it look at Light and Mothion's "Macko"

Chris,
Thanks, i looked at those to. not sure what housing i will get yet. still have a while to think about it before i actually get it. just checking ahead of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom