Housing xchoice for Canon G7x MkII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello folks,
help me out here.

After quite some happy years with a Panasonic TZ10 and external strobe, I think I reached the technical limits of this camera, and want to upgrade, still within the compact realm.

Spent some time reviewing, I'm eventually focusing on the Canon G7x II.

But I can't quite make a decision on the housing. No doubt alu is good, but I really can't convince myself in spending for the housing twice the price of the camera. So, plastic.

Obviously, Fantasea: mostly great reviews, but also a few warnings (after 3 months of use, "the middle wheel on the back of the case sits relatively loose. It is so far out from the control panel that mechanical damage in the long run can not be avoided". This scared me enough, but seeing a thread in this very forum showing EXACTLY this problem is now totally freezing me.

Recsea plastic does not seem to be recommended, as it lacks the very rear control wheel mentioned above, making it complicate to work manually.

Ikelite, I can't quite get enough info.

I would appreciate independent comments/reviews based on direct use.

Thanks a lot!!
Maurizio

"the middle wheel on the back of the case sits relatively loose. It is so far out from the control panel that mechanical damage in the long run can not be avoided".

Haven't had this issue myself, and I used the housing on at least 100+ dives. I like it, it's good value for money and ergonomic. Do I think it will last 5 years? probably not if you dive every day, but if you dive 40 times a year and look after it well, it should.

Ikelite, I can't quite get enough info.

I had a slight crack in my Fantasea housing, and couldn't get it fixed in time before a trip, and the only available option for me was to get the Ikelite housing (Fantasea has since been repaired). To be completely honest, this housing will last you - it's tough, but it's a lot more bulky than the Fantasea, and no option to use the internal flash - only fibre optics to trigger an external strobe. I do however like that I have to be less careful than with the Fantasea. The only issue I have is that sometimes the gear knob to doesn't work, and my middle button has been stuck at depths - I should probably just pull it out and lube up the o-ring and I'm sure it will be good to go.

For me the Ikelite was cheaper than the Fantasea, because it was available locally and the Fantasea had to be shipped over, but I do feel it (Ikelite) is the more longer lasting option - taking in to account that you don't want to upgrade this system in 2 years time.

Thanksalot, Divealot!
That was exactly what I needed: direct experience with both.

I spent now more time surfing for the Ikelite, and it does look more robust. One thing that it seems to lack is ergonomy, though: I think the issue is the camera itself, having that front ring to control diaphragm, thus forcing housing manufacturers to invent solutions to go around the thing. Ikelite has the corresponding knob on top center of the housing, which looks really awkward to me: can you reach it with the fingers of the right hand while keeping the hand in its standard place?? Fantasea is smarter here, although it requires the left hand...

Gotta really put my hands on them, and see how it feels...

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom